Distance traveled by train using forces and kinetic friction

In summary, the train, which has a mass of 5 million kilograms and is traveling south at 22 m/s, will come to a halt after traveling a distance of approximately 310 meters when the train driver initiates a panic stop. This calculation is based on a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.08 and the equation W=Fx, where F is the force of kinetic friction.
Mg53

Homework Statement

A train has a mass of 5 million kilograms and is traveling south at 22 m/s. If the train driver has to initiate a panic stop, how far will the train go before it comes to a halt. Use 0.08 as the coefficient of kinetic friction.

m=5*106 kg
v=-22 m/s
μ-kinetic friction=0.08
g= 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

Horizontal surface: F(normal)=F(weight)
F-weight=mg
F-kinetic = (F-normal)*(μ-kinetic friction)
v= sqrt(2*(F-net/m)*x) x= v2/2*(F-net/m) I'm not sure if it's F(net)/m or g that's supposed to used. My book has both written in it.
F(net)=F(normal)-F(kinetic)
** where F(net)/m comes from the equation F(net)=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F(weight): (5*106)(9.8) = 4.9*107 N
F(kinetic): (4.9*107)(0.08)= 3.9*106 N
F(net): (4.9*107)-(3.9*106)= 4.5*107 N

F(net)/m: (4.5*107)/(5*106) = a = 9 m/s2

x=(-22^2)/(2*9)
= 54 m

I've tried this problem multiple times but I keep getting the wrong answer. 54 meters doesn't make sense but none of my other answers have either. I think the problem is somewhere in the F(net)/m step though. Is it suppose to be a instead where a=9.8? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Mg53! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Mg53 said:
F(net): (4.9*10^7)-(3.9*10^6)= 4.5*10^7 N

i don't understand this …

you seem to be subtracting the horiztonal friction from the vertical weight

i] you can't do that

ii] why did you want to? :confused:

just do work done = change in kinetic energy :smile:

(and don't waste space writing in the m, it makes no difference!)

Hi, thanks for the help :)

The reason I did that was because I thought the net force was equal to the normal force minus the force of kinetic friction. Like I said though, I had a feeling that's where I was messing up in the problem but I didn't really know what else to do.

Okay, I'm still a little confused by one part of that.

Work done=change in kinetic energy
=(1/2)(5*106)(222)
= 1.21*109

I can use that to find the distance using W=Fx but what F do I use? The force of kinetic friction?

I did that and got x=310 m which I guess might make sense but I'm still not sure if that's right because I don't have an answer key :/

Last edited:
Hi Mg53! :smile:
Mg53 said:
The reason I did that was because I thought the net force was equal to the normal force minus the force of kinetic friction.

you're completely confused :confused:

the net vertical force is zero (because the vertical acceleration is zero)

the net horizontal force is the friction (because it's the only horizontal force)​
… I can use that to find the distance using W=Fx but what F do I use? The force of kinetic friction?

yes of course

(i'm going to bed … goodnight! :zzz:)

Firstly, it is important to clarify that the equation F(net)/m is not the same as a. F(net)/m is the net force divided by the mass, while a is the acceleration due to gravity. In this problem, we are dealing with a horizontal surface, so the acceleration due to gravity is not relevant and should not be used in the calculations.

Next, let's review the steps you have taken to solve this problem. Your calculation for the weight of the train (F(weight)) is correct. However, your calculation for the kinetic friction force (F(kinetic)) is incorrect. The correct calculation should be (4.9*107)*(0.08) = 3.92*106 N. This is because the kinetic friction force is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction (μ) multiplied by the normal force, which in this case is equal to the weight of the train.

Now, let's calculate the net force acting on the train. We know that the only forces acting on the train are the weight (F(weight)) and the kinetic friction force (F(kinetic)). Therefore, the net force is equal to F(weight) - F(kinetic), which gives us (4.9*107) - (3.92*106) = 4.51*107 N.

Finally, we can use the equation x = v^2/(2*a) to find the distance traveled by the train before coming to a halt. Plugging in the values, we get x = (-22)^2/(2*(4.51*107)) = 53.3 meters.

Therefore, the train will travel approximately 53.3 meters before coming to a halt when the driver initiates a panic stop. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and values. I hope this helps clarify the solution to this problem.

FAQ: Distance traveled by train using forces and kinetic friction

What is the definition of distance traveled by train using forces and kinetic friction?

The distance traveled by train using forces and kinetic friction refers to the total length covered by a train while in motion, taking into account the forces acting on the train and the kinetic friction between the train and the surface it is traveling on.

How does the force of the train affect the distance traveled?

The force of the train directly affects the distance traveled as it is the driving force that propels the train forward. The greater the force applied, the greater the distance traveled by the train.

What role does kinetic friction play in the distance traveled by train?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of the train and is caused by the contact between the train and the surface it is traveling on. This force decreases the overall speed of the train, therefore affecting the distance traveled.

How can the distance traveled by train be calculated using forces and kinetic friction?

To calculate the distance traveled by train, you can use the equation d = 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force applied by the mass of the train. This equation takes into account the forces acting on the train, including kinetic friction.

What are some factors that can affect the distance traveled by train using forces and kinetic friction?

Some factors that can affect the distance traveled by train include the mass of the train, the force applied, the surface the train is traveling on, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or inclines. Additionally, the type and condition of the train's wheels and the amount of friction between them and the tracks can also impact the distance traveled.

Back