Distance traveled using velocity

In summary, the dog travels a total distance of 11m when the owners meet, as calculated by using the equation for average velocity and considering one owner as stationary and the other moving at 2.6m/s.
destinc
1. A dog runs back and forth between its two owners, who are walking toward one another. The dog starts running when the owners are 10.0m apart. If the dog runs with a speed of 3.0m/s, and the owners each walk with a speed of 1.3m/s , how far has the dog traveled when the owners meet?

My attempt:
I know each owner will travel a distance of 5m at 1.3m/s which equals 6.5s of time. The dog travels 3.0m/s for the 6.5s= 19.5m traveled, but the answer given is 11m. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
destinc said:
I know each owner will travel a distance of 5m at 1.3m/s which equals 6.5s of time.
How far do you travel in 6.5 sec if you go at 1.3 m/sec?

destinc said:
1. A dog runs back and forth between its two owners, who are walking toward one another. The dog starts running when the owners are 10.0m apart. If the dog runs with a speed of 3.0m/s, and the owners each walk with a speed of 1.3m/s , how far has the dog traveled when the owners meet?My attempt:
I know each owner will travel a distance of 5m at 1.3m/s which equals 6.5s of time. The dog travels 3.0m/s for the 6.5s= 19.5m traveled, but the answer given is 11m. What am I doing wrong?

Hey physics problems can be tough to get thru sometimes.

You can use an equation that relates velocity, time, and distance to get your answer.

Remember, Average velocity = Δx divided by Δt...where x is displacement and t is time. The trick here is also that you have two people moving at the same velocity closing a distance of 10m.

Once you have the time it takes for these two people to meet, solve for the Δx of the dog.

Likes Blessings
destinc said:
My attempt:
I know each owner will travel a distance of 5m at 1.3m/s which equals 6.5s of time.

You can also simplify the problem by treating one owner as being stationary and the other moving at 2.6m/s

EDIT: I got 11.5385, which I think you should round up...not quite sure about this method

Last edited:

Related to Distance traveled using velocity

1. How is distance traveled calculated using velocity?

The distance traveled using velocity is calculated by multiplying the velocity by the time. This formula is represented as d = v x t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. This calculation assumes that the velocity remains constant throughout the entire duration of the travel.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in the context of distance traveled. Speed is a scalar quantity that represents how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction. So, while speed only tells us how fast an object is moving, velocity tells us both how fast and in what direction an object is moving.

3. Does distance traveled depend on the direction of velocity?

Yes, distance traveled does depend on the direction of velocity. When an object moves in a straight line, the distance traveled will be the same regardless of the direction of velocity. However, if an object changes direction or follows a curved path, the distance traveled will be different depending on the direction of velocity.

4. Can distance traveled be negative?

Yes, distance traveled can be negative. This can happen when an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 0 and moves -10 meters, its distance traveled will be -10 meters. Negative distance traveled can also occur when an object changes direction multiple times during its travel.

5. How does acceleration affect distance traveled using velocity?

Acceleration can affect distance traveled using velocity in two ways. First, if an object has a constant acceleration, the distance traveled will increase at a faster rate over time. Second, if an object has a changing acceleration, the distance traveled will vary depending on the changes in acceleration. This is because acceleration affects the velocity, which in turn affects the distance traveled.