How Can You Distinguish Between Argon and Carbon Dioxide Gases?

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, to distinguish between argon gas and carbon dioxide gas, you can pass the gases through limewater and observe for the formation of a precipitate. Another method would be to pass the gases through water and use an indicator to detect the formation of carbonic acid from the CO2 gas. However, the limewater test would be the most effective method as only a small percentage of dissolved CO2 would exist as carbonic acid.
danago
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Distinguishing Between CO2 and Ar

Explain how you would distinguish between argon gas and carbon dioxide gas

My first thought was to boil some water to remove any dissolved gases, and then pass the two gases through samples of the water. The CO2 would react to form a weak solution of carbonic acid, while the argon does nothing. The formation of carbonic acid could be identified with the use of a suitable indicator.

On second thought, id probably pass the gases through limewater and watch for the formation of a precipitate, however, in an exam, i probably would have ended up leaving my first answer.

My question is: Is my first method correct, would it work? And would it be practical?

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it would...

Alright, thanks :smile:

the best method would be limewater though...

only about 1% of the dissolved CO2 exists as carbonic acid, and I'm wondering if the indicator would be able to detect that.

i'd rather do the limewater test.

Related to How Can You Distinguish Between Argon and Carbon Dioxide Gases?

1. What is the difference between CO2 and Ar?

CO2 and Ar are both chemical compounds, but they have different molecular structures. CO2 is composed of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms, while Ar is composed of one argon atom. Additionally, CO2 is a gas at room temperature, while Ar is a noble gas and is also a gas at room temperature.

2. How can one distinguish between CO2 and Ar?

The most common method to distinguish between CO2 and Ar is by using their physical properties. CO2 is a much denser gas than Ar, so it will sink in air and can be collected in a container. Ar, on the other hand, is lighter and will rise in air. Additionally, CO2 is known for its characteristic odor and can turn lime water milky when bubbled through it, while Ar is odorless and has no chemical reactivity.

3. Are there any similarities between CO2 and Ar?

CO2 and Ar do share some similarities. Both compounds are colorless, odorless, and tasteless gases at room temperature. They also both have low boiling points, with CO2 boiling at -78.5 °C and Ar boiling at -185.8 °C. However, their chemical and physical properties differ significantly.

4. Can CO2 and Ar be found naturally occurring in the environment?

Yes, both CO2 and Ar can be found naturally occurring in the environment. CO2 is a greenhouse gas and is produced by living organisms through respiration, decomposition, and combustion. Ar is a noble gas and makes up about 1% of the Earth's atmosphere. It is also found in some minerals and is released during volcanic eruptions.

5. What are some common uses of CO2 and Ar?

CO2 and Ar have many practical applications. CO2 is used in carbonated beverages, fire extinguishers, and as a cooling agent. It is also used in medical procedures such as laparoscopy and cryotherapy. Ar is used in welding, lighting, and as an inert gas in industrial processes. It is also used in medical imaging and as a shielding gas in nuclear reactors.