Distributing 5 Objects to 3 Boxes: C(5,3)

In summary: The conversation discusses the ways to distribute five distinguishable objects into three indistinguishable boxes. The answer can be found using the binomial coefficient C_3^5. However, the conversation also considers treating the boxes as distinguishable and then dividing by the number of sequences, which would result in 3! = 6. The conversation also mentions the possibility of multiple objects fitting into a box and the correct answer being the same as the number of ways to partition 5 into three subsets. There are 46 possible groupings for this scenario. The final formula discussed is the partition number of (5,3).
gimpy
I think i got this answer.

How many ways are there to distribute five distinguishable objects into three indistinguishable boxes?

Wouldn't the answer just be [tex]C(5,3)[/tex] because the boxes are indistinguishable? Or do i treat this question the same as if the boxes were distinguishable?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The binomial coefficient [tex]C_3^5[/tex] is right. You could do it as if the boxes were distinguishable and then divide by the number of sequences of them: 3! = 6. and that's what you would get.

Multiple objects can fit in a box, can't they?

Unless they are very, very big.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Multiple objects can fit in a box, can't they?

Yes, multiple objects can fit into a box.

I think my answer is correct, isn't it?

I don't think it is. I think it's quite a way out. The answer is the same as the number of ways to partition 5 into three (possibly empty?) subsets, which is

[tex]\sum\binom{n}{p}\binom{n}{q}\binom{n}{r}[/tex]

for all p+q+r = 5 (and possibly with the requirement that p,q,r are strictyl positive.

To show that your answer is wrong, I think your reasoning that the number of ways to put 5 distinct objects into 1 box is 5 choose 1, ie 5, when obviously it is 1. Also there are many ways of putting 5 balls into 100 boxes, and 5 choose 100 is define to be 0.

There are 5 possible groupings:
0 0 5 - 1
0 1 4 - 5
0 2 3 - 10
1 1 3 - 10
1 2 2 - 20

For a total of 46 possibilities. I don't see a more general formula for this.

The answer is the partition number of (5,3) for want of a better term which is what you've worked out, NateG, and does not follow the formula I wrote just there. Anyway, it isn't 5 choose 3. Is
[tex]\sum\binom{n}{p}\binom{n-p}{q}\binom{n-p-q}{r}[/tex]

getting better? I think so.

matt

Last edited:

FAQ: Distributing 5 Objects to 3 Boxes: C(5,3)

1. What is the formula for distributing 5 objects to 3 boxes?

The formula for distributing 5 objects to 3 boxes is known as the combination formula, represented as C(n,r) = n! / (r!(n-r)!). In this case, n = 5 and r = 3, so the formula becomes C(5,3) = 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 5! / (3!2!) = (5x4x3) / (2x1) = 10.

2. How many ways can 5 objects be distributed to 3 boxes?

There are 10 ways to distribute 5 objects to 3 boxes. This can be calculated using the combination formula, C(5,3) = 10. These 10 ways are known as combinations, where the order of the objects in the boxes does not matter.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways of arranging objects, but they differ in the way they treat the order of the objects. Permutations take into account the order of the objects, while combinations do not. In the context of distributing objects to boxes, permutations would refer to the number of ways to arrange the objects in different orders within the boxes, while combinations would refer to the total number of ways to distribute the objects without considering their order within the boxes.

4. Can the formula for distributing 5 objects to 3 boxes be applied to larger numbers?

Yes, the formula C(n,r) = n! / (r!(n-r)!) can be applied to larger numbers. However, as the numbers get larger, the calculations become more complex and may require the use of a calculator or computer program. It is important to note that the formula only applies to situations where the objects are being distributed without replacement, meaning each object can only be placed in one box.

5. How is the formula for distributing objects to boxes useful in real life?

The formula for distributing objects to boxes has many practical applications in daily life. For example, it can be used to calculate the number of ways to distribute prizes or gifts among a group of people, to determine the number of ways to arrange seats for a certain number of guests, or to calculate the probability of different outcomes in games or experiments. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many real-world applications in various fields such as statistics, economics, and computer science.