Distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion

In summary, the 3He-3He fuel cycle produces protons and alpha particles, releasing a total energy of 12.9 MeV. However, the distribution of this energy among the fusion products is not readily available and may require an equation to derive. The final state of the reaction involves 3 bodies, which results in a continuous energy spectrum. This is similar to beta decay and follows basic kinematics principles.
MnemosyneAH
The 3He-3He fuel cycle releases protons and alpha particles, plus 12.9 MeV of energy. No matter where I look, I can't find any information about how that 12.9 MeV is distributed over the fusion products, every source just quotes the 12.9 total.

Does anyone know how this energy tends to be distributed, or can show me how to derive it (I'm sure there must be an equation, but I'm only a beginner at this, so I can't guess at what it is).

Physics news on Phys.org
write down the total reaction

3He + 3He -> 2p + 4He + 12.85 MeV ?

3 bodies in the final state means that they all have a contunous energu spectra

Huh, okay then.

MnemosyneAH said:
Huh, okay then.

just as in beta decay for instance, basic kinematics

Related to Distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion

1. What is the distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion?

The distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion is typically a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of particles having a moderate energy level and fewer particles having higher or lower energy levels. This distribution is a result of the random collisions between the 3He particles and the surrounding atoms in the fusion process.

2. How does the distribution of particle energy affect the efficiency of 3He fusion?

The distribution of particle energy can greatly affect the efficiency of 3He fusion. If the majority of particles have very low energy levels, the fusion process will be less efficient as there will be fewer collisions and therefore fewer successful fusion reactions. On the other hand, if there are a significant number of particles with very high energy levels, the fusion reactions may become unstable and the process will be less efficient.

3. Can the distribution of particle energy be controlled in 3He fusion?

Yes, the distribution of particle energy can be controlled to some extent in 3He fusion. This can be achieved by adjusting the temperature, pressure, and magnetic fields in the fusion chamber. These factors can influence the speed and direction of the particles, ultimately affecting their energy levels and the overall distribution.

4. What factors can affect the distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion?

Aside from the temperature, pressure, and magnetic fields mentioned earlier, the composition of the fusion fuel, the shape and size of the fusion chamber, and external factors such as background radiation can also affect the distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion.

5. How does the distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion differ from other fusion reactions?

The distribution of particle energy in 3He fusion can differ from other fusion reactions due to the unique properties of 3He particles. These particles are larger and have a different charge than the commonly used hydrogen isotopes, resulting in different collision patterns and energy distributions. Additionally, the specific conditions and factors that affect the distribution of particle energy may vary between different fusion reactions.