Distribution of the decimals of a random number

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distribution of every decimal digit Xi in a random number U, and proving their independence. The solution involves using the intersection of probabilities and the induction principle. The correctness of the solution is questioned.
libelec

Homework Statement

Let U = 0.X1X2X3... be a random number in (0,1].

1) Find the distribution of every decimal digit Xi, i = 0,1,2...

2) Show that they are independent of each other

The Attempt at a Solution

I could use a hint for N°2. I have an idea, but I think it's wrong:

If X1 and X2 are independent, then P(X2 = x2 (intersection) X1 = x1) = P(X2 = x2)*P(X1 = x1).

Since P(X2 = x2 (intersection) X1 = x1) = P(0.x1x2... < U <= 0.x1(x2+1)...) = 0.x1(x2+1) - 0.x1x2 = 0.01 = 0.1*0.1 = P(X2 = x2) * P(X1 = x1) , that should prove it. Then, I could invoke the induction principle. But something sounds off.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

Related to Distribution of the decimals of a random number

What is the purpose of studying the distribution of the decimals of a random number?

Studying the distribution of the decimals of a random number allows us to understand and analyze the randomness and patterns present in a set of data. This can be useful in various fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science.

How is the distribution of the decimals of a random number calculated?

The distribution of the decimals of a random number is calculated by dividing the number into its decimal places and then calculating the frequency of each decimal. This can be visualized through a histogram or a frequency chart.

What does a uniform distribution of decimals in a random number signify?

A uniform distribution of decimals in a random number signifies that each decimal place has an equal chance of occurring. This means that there is no significant pattern or bias in the random number generator.

What is the significance of a non-uniform distribution of decimals in a random number?

A non-uniform distribution of decimals in a random number signifies that certain decimal places have a higher frequency of occurring compared to others. This could indicate a bias in the random number generator or a non-random data set.

How is the distribution of decimals in a random number relevant in real-world applications?

The distribution of decimals in a random number is relevant in various real-world applications, such as cryptography, gambling, and simulations. It allows us to assess the randomness and reliability of random number generators and make informed decisions based on the distribution of data.