Disturbing Equilibrium: Effects of Adding Hydrogen on I2 Concentration

• Thread starter storm13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the extra hydrogen added to the system increased the amount of I2 present, but the equilibrium constant did not change.
storm13

Homework Statement

What is the effect on the system below which is already at equilibrium if extra hydrogen was added? How is the amount of I2 different?

Homework Equations

2HI ⇔ H2 + I2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am finding effects the addition or removal of a substance at chemical equilibrium not making a lot of sense. To me it's contradicting, especially when you refer to graphs.

For example the solution to this would be: the system tries to oppose this change by removing this extra Hydrogen. It does this by favouring the reverse reaction, thus equilibrium shifts to the left, and there is now more Hydrogen Iodide than previous. The amountof I2 has decreased as it has been used to react with the extra H2 to form HI.

What i don't understand is how equilibrium constant doesn't change. How is this possible? If you have more HI and less I2, mathematical the concentration fraction will be less. This is observed on many equilibrium vs time graphs with adding or removing substances. It clearly does show a differing Kc value if you added all the concnetrations.

Physics news on Phys.org
storm13 said:
What i don't understand is how equilibrium constant doesn't change. How is this possible? If you have more HI and less I2, mathematical the concentration fraction will be less.

You forgot you still have more H2 - even if part was consumed, its concentration is still higher than it was initially. That means [H2][I2] is not lower than it was before hydrogen addition. Quite the opposite - it is larger.

storm13 said:
What i don't understand is how equilibrium constant doesn't change. How is this possible?

Well, that would be the definition of the word "constant" right? If it changed it wouldn't be "constant", would it?

At equilibrium, the concentration of the products divided by the concentration of the starting materials is constant.

Keq = [products]/[starting materials]

It's a definition that happens to be true. Just learn it and use it.

Yes I understand that's the rule and you have to learn it but i what i really don't understand is why the graphs don't reflect this. Am i missing something?

Graph 1 in the attachment : the ratio at Equilibrium before and after the disturbance are not equal, whereas in graph 2 they are??

Attachments

• Equilibiurm Graphs.pdf
    140.6 KB · Views: 268
Your hint helped me. Thank you. I am pretty sure i understand it now. The left over bit of H2 would defintely make the difference. I had been playing around with the values on the graphs and realized i was making assumptions of all the values, which meant the ratio was different. But a key concept I was missing was that the H2 still did have an increase.

Your help is appreciated.

FAQ: Disturbing Equilibrium: Effects of Adding Hydrogen on I2 Concentration

1. What is "Disturbing Equilibrium"?

Disturbing Equilibrium refers to the process of disrupting a system's state of balance or stability. This can occur through various means such as adding or removing components, changing environmental conditions, or altering the system's energy levels.

2. How does "Disturbing Equilibrium" affect natural systems?

Disturbing Equilibrium can have a significant impact on natural systems. It can lead to changes in population sizes, shifts in species interactions, and alterations in ecosystem functions. In some cases, it can even result in the collapse of entire ecosystems.

3. What are some examples of "Disturbing Equilibrium" in the environment?

Examples of "Disturbing Equilibrium" in the environment include natural disasters such as wildfires, hurricanes, and earthquakes, as well as human activities like deforestation, pollution, and climate change. These events can disrupt the balance of ecosystems and cause long-term effects on biodiversity and ecological processes.

4. How do scientists study "Disturbing Equilibrium"?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study "Disturbing Equilibrium", including field observations, experiments, and computer models. They also analyze data collected over time to track changes in the affected system and determine the underlying causes and potential consequences of the disturbance.

5. Can "Disturbing Equilibrium" have positive effects?

While "Disturbing Equilibrium" is often associated with negative impacts, it can also have positive effects. For example, certain disturbances, such as natural wildfires, can actually benefit ecosystems by promoting new growth and increasing biodiversity. However, it is important for scientists to carefully study and monitor disturbances to understand their potential consequences and inform management decisions.

Back