Divergence Theorem Homework: Find Divergence

In summary, the conversation is about finding the divergence using the given link and attempting to simplify the expressions in order to get the correct answer. The questioner is unsure about their second step and asks for clarification on the notational convention for φ and θ. The expert clarifies that the derivative only applies to the expression immediately following and confirms that φ is the azimuthal angle. The final answer obtained is 4r cos(θ).
Tyst

Homework Statement

Here is a link to the problem:
http://www.brainmass.com/homework-help/physics/electromagnetic-theory/68800

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the divergence

1/r^2*d(r)*(r^2*r^2*cos(theta))
+[1/r*sin(theta)]*d(theta)*(sin(theta)*r^2*cos(phi))
-[1/r*sin(theta)]*d(phi)*(r^2*cos(theta)*sin(phi))

Which gives

1/r^2*4*r^3*cos(theta)
+[1/r*sin(theta)]*(cos(theta)*r^2*cos(phi))
-[1/r*sin(theta)]*(r^2*cos(theta)*cos(phi))

Is this correct?
Looks correct to this point

Following this i get

=4*r*cos(theta)
What do you mean by "following this"? How did you get that and for what?

which gives me the right answer when i continue on with the question, however i am unsure about my second step... shouldn't i have to differentiate the 1/r*sin(theta) in the second term? And the 1/r^2 in the first? Or does the d(variable) only apply to the expressions written after it? As i guess you can tell, I'm confused and this is probably a really stupid question... Thanks in advance for you help ladies and gents.
It would help if you used parenthes:
div v= (1/r^2)Dr(r2vr)+ (1/r sin theta)Dtheta(sin theta vtheta)+ (1/r sin theta) Dphi(vphi)

Yes, the derivative only applies to the expression immediately following. Usually it is in the derivative symbol or in parentheses to indicate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused as to the notational convention for [tex]\phi \ \mbox{and} \ \theta[/tex]. Which one in this question is the azimuthal angle to the xy plane?

Phi is the azimuthal angle

4rcos(theta) came from simplifying the expressions above it, it is the divergence.

And thank you - you answered my question!

Related to Divergence Theorem Homework: Find Divergence

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the same vector field over the enclosed volume.

2. How is the divergence theorem used in physics and engineering?

The divergence theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in electromagnetism to relate the electric flux through a closed surface to the net charge enclosed within the surface. It is also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the flow rate of a fluid through a closed surface.

3. What is the formula for the divergence theorem?

The formula for the divergence theorem is:

∫ ∈ V ∀ F(x,y,z) dV = ∫ ∈ S F(x,y,z) dA

where V is the volume enclosed by the closed surface S, F(x,y,z) is the vector field, dV is the volume element, and dA is the surface element.

4. What are some common applications of the divergence theorem?

Some common applications of the divergence theorem include calculating electric fields and flux in electromagnetism, calculating fluid flow rates in fluid dynamics, and determining the net force on a closed surface in mechanics.

5. How do I solve a homework problem using the divergence theorem?

To solve a homework problem using the divergence theorem, first identify the closed surface and the enclosed volume in the problem. Then, calculate the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume and the surface integral of the vector field over the closed surface. Finally, use the formula for the divergence theorem to equate the two integrals and solve for the desired variable.