Divergence Theorem: Show e\rho Integral Equality

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a fluid mechanics text that involves proving an equation involving scalar quantities and a defined operator. The solution attempts to use the divergence theorem and a vector identity, but there is uncertainty about the validity of a certain step.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

This is from a fluid mechanics text. There are no assumptions being made (i.e., no constants):

Show that

[tex]\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}\int_V e\rho \,dV +
\int_S e\rho\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n}\,dA
=
\rho\frac{De}{Dt}\,dV\qquad(1)
[/tex]

where e and [itex]\rho[/itex] are scalar quantities and we the define the operator

[tex]\frac{D}{Dt} \equiv \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}} + \mathbf{V}\cdot\nabla\qquad(2)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem:

[tex]\int_S\mathbf{n}\cdot\mathbf{F}\,dA = \int_V \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}\,dV \qquad(3)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use (3) on the surface integral in (1):

[tex]\int_S e\rho\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n}\,dA =
\int_S (e\rho\mathbf{v})\cdot\mathbf{n}\,dA \qquad(4)[/tex]

[tex]= \int_V\nabla\cdot(e\rho\mathbf{V})\,dV \qquad(5)[/tex]

Now in (5) I used the vector identity: [itex]\nabla\cdot (\phi\mathbf{F}) = \mathbf{F}\cdot\nabla\phi + \phi\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F} \qquad(6)[/itex] however, I am not sure if the way I did it was legal. I let [itex]\phi = e\rho[/itex]. Is that a legal move? That is, is this true:

[tex]
\nabla\cdot (e\rho\mathbf{V}) = e\rho\nabla\cdot\mathbf{V} + \mathbf{V}\cdot\nabla e\rho
[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's fine. It's less confusing to use some parentheses

[tex]\nabla\cdot (e\rho\mathbf{V}) = e\rho\nabla\cdot\mathbf{V} + \mathbf{V}\cdot\nabla (e\rho), [/tex]

so that it's clear on what the gradient acts.

I think you have an integral sign missing on the RHS of equ (1).

Related to Divergence Theorem: Show e\rho Integral Equality

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region inside the surface.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used in science and engineering?

The Divergence Theorem is used in many fields of science and engineering, including electromagnetics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It allows for the simplification of complicated integrals and is an important tool for solving problems involving vector fields.

3. What is the mathematical equation for the Divergence Theorem?

The mathematical equation for the Divergence Theorem is ∬F · dA = ∭∇ · F dV, where ∬F · dA represents the flux of the vector field F through a closed surface, and ∭∇ · F dV represents the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region inside the surface.

4. What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is significant because it provides a relationship between the surface and volume integrals of a vector field, making it a useful tool for solving various problems in physics and engineering. It also allows for the conversion of a difficult surface integral into a simpler volume integral, making calculations easier.

5. How does the Divergence Theorem relate to other theorems in mathematics?

The Divergence Theorem is a special case of the more general Stokes' Theorem, which relates the surface and line integrals of a vector field. It is also closely related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which connects the integral and derivative of a function. Additionally, the Divergence Theorem is a fundamental concept in the study of vector calculus and is used in many other theorems and equations in mathematics and physics.