Diverging lens problem -image should be between focus & optical centre

In summary, the diverging lens equation states that the focal length is negative which means the distance of the image from the optical centre is to the left of the optical centre.
s3a

Homework Statement

Problem:
An object 2.0 cm high is placed in front of a diverging lens of focal length 1.8 cm.

The object is 2.7 cm from the optical centre of the lens.

Questions:
1) Where is the image located with respect to the focus and the optical centre of the lens, qualitatively?

2) Is the image upright or inverted?

3) Is the image real or virtual?

4) Is the image larger or smaller than the object?

Answers:
1) The image is located between the focus and the optical centre of the lens.

2) The image is upright.

3) The image is virtual.

4) The image is smaller than the object.

Homework Equations

##1/f = 1/d_o + 1/d_i##
##h_i/h_o = -d_i/d_o##

The Attempt at a Solution

This thread is about answer #1.

Modifying ##1/f = 1/d_o + 1/d_i##, I get:
(1/(1.8 cm) – 1/(2.7 cm))^(-1) = 5.4 cm = ##d_i##

Doesn't that mean that the image should be 5.4 cm – 2.7 cm = 2.7 cm to the left of the object instead of between the focus and the optical centre of the lens?

I'm assuming there's something wrong with the numbers because if what I am reading from this book is correct, the image of a diverging lens should always be between the primary focus and the optical centre, regardless of where the object is located.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The lens is diverging...do you know what this means regarding focal length value?

Oh! Is it that the focal length is negative such that the distance of the image from the optical centre is -1.08 cm or 1.08 cm leftward of the optical centre?

Exactly. The focus, in this problem, is -1.8cm.

s3a said:
Oh! Is it that the focal length is negative such that the distance of the image from the optical centre is -1.08 cm or 1.08 cm leftward of the optical centre?

You have got it. You first attempt was for a converging lens

Alright. Thank you (both) very much! :D

Related to Diverging lens problem -image should be between focus & optical centre

1. What is a diverging lens?

A diverging lens is a type of lens that is thicker at the edges and thinner at the center, causing light rays to spread out or diverge. It is also known as a concave lens.

2. What is the purpose of a diverging lens?

The purpose of a diverging lens is to diverge or spread out light rays that pass through it. This can be used to correct nearsightedness or to create virtual images.

3. What is the "image between focus and optical center" problem?

This problem refers to the situation where the object is placed between the focus and optical center of a diverging lens. In this case, the image formed will be virtual, upright, and smaller than the object.

4. What happens if the object is placed beyond the focus of a diverging lens?

If the object is placed beyond the focus of a diverging lens, the image formed will be real, inverted, and smaller than the object. This is because the diverging lens will cause the light rays to spread out before they meet at the image.

5. How can I determine the location and size of the image in a diverging lens problem?

To determine the location and size of the image in a diverging lens problem, you can use the thin lens equation: 1/so + 1/si = 1/f, where so is the object distance, si is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens. You can also use ray diagrams to visualize the path of light rays and determine the location and size of the image.