Dividing a Quadrilateral into Equal Parts

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a line through point P to divide a quadrilateral ABCD into two equal parts. The technique used is similar to the one used in a previous problem involving a pentagon, where a line is drawn to bisect a triangle formed by extending the sides of the pentagon. A diagram is also provided, which can be found on a website.
Albert1
ABCD is a quadrilateral,and point P is a point on AD ,and

between points A and D

please construct a line (passing through point P),and

divide ABCD into two parts with equal area

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: quadrilateral

Do you know how Russian revolutionaries in the beginning of the 20th century wrote letters to their comrades from tsarist prisons? They would use milk to write hidden messages between the lines. (Yes, apparently, at that time, they served milk in prisons.) When milk was dry, it was invisible, but by holding the letter over a candle, the hidden message could be revealed. I have a feeling that something is written between the lines in this problem statement as well.

Edit: Apparently, the following is incorrect. There is no reason to believe that any line through the centroid cuts a quadrilateral into two parts with equal area.

Is it not the line that passes through P and the centroid? As Wikipedia helpfully reminds, the centroid can be found by constructing the centroid of triangles into which the quadrilateral is divided by diagonals.

Last edited:

This strikes me as an extension of the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f28/change-pentagon-into-triangle-equal-area-5486/.

[sp]Regard the quadrilateral ABCD as being a pentagon PABCD, with a $180^\circ$ angle at P. Then apply the construction in comment #6 in the pentagon thread. This gives a triangle with its apex at P, whose opposite edge (ST say) contains the edge BC of the quadrilateral, and which has the same area as the quadrilateral. Now bisect ST to get a point Q on BC. The line PQ will bisect the triangle and will therefore also bisect the quadrilateral.

I would include a diagram if I had time, but I expect Albert can provide one. (Smile)[/sp]

Opalg said:
This strikes me as an extension of the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f28/change-pentagon-into-triangle-equal-area-5486/.

[sp]Regard the quadrilateral ABCD as being a pentagon PABCD, with a $180^\circ$ angle at P. Then apply the construction in comment #6 in the pentagon thread. This gives a triangle with its apex at P, whose opposite edge (ST say) contains the edge BC of the quadrilateral, and which has the same area as the quadrilateral. Now bisect ST to get a point Q on BC. The line PQ will bisect the triangle and will therefore also bisect the quadrilateral.

I would include a diagram if I had time, but I expect Albert can provide one. (Smile)[/sp]
yes the construction of the diagram is similar to the pentagon problem
now ! here is the diagram
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1002._xfImport

Attachments

• Quadrilateral.jpg
    Quadrilateral.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 63

I am not an expert in geometry or mathematics. However, based on my understanding of geometry, I can offer some insights on this topic.

Dividing a quadrilateral into equal parts can be achieved by constructing a line that passes through a specific point on one of its sides. In this case, the point P is on the side AD, between points A and D. To divide the quadrilateral ABCD into two equal parts, we need to construct a line that passes through point P and divides the area of the quadrilateral into two equal halves.

To do this, we can use the concept of perpendicular bisector. A perpendicular bisector is a line that divides a line segment into two equal parts, while also being perpendicular to that line segment. In this case, we can construct a perpendicular bisector of the line segment AD passing through point P. This line will intersect the side BC at a point, say Q. The line PQ will then divide the quadrilateral ABCD into two equal parts with equal areas.

To verify that the two parts have equal areas, we can use the formula for the area of a quadrilateral, which is ½ x base x height. Since the line PQ is a perpendicular bisector of AD, it will also bisect the height of the quadrilateral. Therefore, the area of the triangle APQ will be equal to the area of the triangle DPQ. Similarly, the area of the triangle CPQ will be equal to the area of the triangle BPQ. Therefore, the areas of the two parts of the quadrilateral ABCD will be equal.

In conclusion, by constructing a perpendicular bisector passing through point P on the side AD of the quadrilateral ABCD, we can divide it into two equal parts with equal areas. This method can also be used to divide a quadrilateral into any desired number of equal parts by constructing multiple perpendicular bisectors passing through different points on its sides.

Related to Dividing a Quadrilateral into Equal Parts

1. How do you divide a quadrilateral into equal parts?

To divide a quadrilateral into equal parts, you can use a straight edge and a compass to create evenly spaced lines or arcs on the quadrilateral. These lines or arcs should intersect at the same point on all sides of the quadrilateral, creating equal parts.

2. Can a quadrilateral be divided into equal parts without using tools?

No, it is not possible to divide a quadrilateral into equal parts without using tools. The use of a straight edge and compass is necessary to ensure that the parts are truly equal and evenly spaced.

3. How many equal parts can a quadrilateral be divided into?

A quadrilateral can be divided into a maximum of four equal parts. This is because a quadrilateral has four sides and each side can only be divided into two equal parts.

4. What are some practical applications of dividing a quadrilateral into equal parts?

Dividing a quadrilateral into equal parts can be useful in creating symmetrical designs or patterns, dividing land or property equally among multiple owners, or dividing a pizza or cake into equal slices.

5. Are there any special techniques for dividing a parallelogram into equal parts?

Yes, when dividing a parallelogram into equal parts, the diagonals of the parallelogram can be used to create evenly spaced lines or arcs that intersect at the same point on all sides of the parallelogram. This technique ensures that the parts are truly equal and symmetrical.