Dividing exponents, Why don't I use BEDMAS for this?

• Thread starter Gregory.gags
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary: Order" again?)In summary, the BEDMAS order of operations is commonly used in Britain, and is different from the order that is commonly used in the United States.
Gregory.gags
Okay, I'm doing an advanced functions course online to get into Physics for university. I got this question in the exponents section...

(2x3y7)5/(2x2y5)7

Intuition (BEDMAS) tells me to divide out what's IN the brackets (2/2 , x3/x2 , y7/y5) , and then the exponents outside the brackets (5/7 I know this doesn't make that much sense now that I think back to it...) So I looked at the answer and what I should have done, but what I don't understand is WHY i am supposed to START with the exponents (on the outside) INSTEAD of dividing what's inside the brackets, doesn't that go against BEDMAS? This may sound quite silly to someone who has a natural understanding of numbers but i can't see the logic behind it ( other than that you can't divide 5 by 7 :P )

Physics news on Phys.org
What is BEDMAS supposed to mean and how does it supercede the other laws of algebra?

The order of operations tells you to do brackets/parentheses first. But the parens are not combined together. They are two separate expressions and can't be further simplified. In order to further simplify you need to get rid of the parens. Since the exponents distribute, you can try that. In this case it gets rid of the first step in BEDMAS (or PEMDAS where I'm from) and next group like terms and simplify the exponents.

What you actually tried to do was skip past B and E and straight to D. When you divided 2/2 you had to ignore the Brackets/Parens and the Exponents in order to do the Division. My guess is that it seemed right because if felt like you were evaluating all of the Brackets/Parens together. That seems logical, but the actual operation that you were doing was division.

I hope I'm right about what you were thinking and that helps.

Gregory.gags said:
Okay, I'm doing an advanced functions course online to get into Physics for university. I got this question in the exponents section...

(2x3y7)5/(2x2y5)7

Intuition (BEDMAS) tells me to divide out what's IN the brackets (2/2 , x3/x2 , y7/y5) , and then the exponents outside the brackets (5/7 I know this doesn't make that much sense now that I think back to it...) So I looked at the answer and what I should have done, but what I don't understand is WHY i am supposed to START with the exponents (on the outside) INSTEAD of dividing what's inside the brackets, doesn't that go against BEDMAS? This may sound quite silly to someone who has a natural understanding of numbers but i can't see the logic behind it ( other than that you can't divide 5 by 7 :P )
Are you clear on what inside the brackets means? 2/2 , x3/x etc. are not inside any brackets. The two brackets (more correctly "parentheses") are [itex](2x^3y^7)[/itex] and [itex](2x^7y^2)[/itex].

Doing the brackets first means doing [itex](2x^3y^7)^5= 32x^{15}y^{35}[/itex] and [tex](2x^7y^5)^7= 128x^{49}y^{35}[/tex]. You are NOT using BEDMAS when you Divide before taking the Exponential of the Brackets.

"BEDMAS" is mnemonic for the order of operations: Brackets,Exponents,Division,Multiplication,Addition,Subtraction.

I believe that is commonly used in Britain. In the United States we are typically taught "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" with "P" for "parentheses" and "M" and "D" reversed (of course they can be done in either order).

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
"BEDMAS" is mnemonic for the order of operations: Brackets,Exponents,Division,Multiplication,Addition,Subtraction.

I believe that is commonly used in Britain. In the United States we are typically taught "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" with "P" for "parentheses" and "M" and "D" reversed (of course they can be done in either order).
I'm 42 from England, and was always taught BODMAS. I only heard of BEDMAS a short time ago, so maybe the teaching system has changed in the last 20 years. (Presumably the powers that be thought that "Order" would confuse children when the whole thing is about order, so they changed it to "Exponent".)

I like your American "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". Not heard that before. :smile:

Actually I started to write "BODMAS", then noticed that Gregory.gags had written "BEDMAS".

Thanks guys, you've all been a great help! I was just mistaken but I did it over again (the right way) and got the right answer, so thanks again :)

oay said:
I'm 42 from England, and was always taught BODMAS. I only heard of BEDMAS a short time ago, so maybe the teaching system has changed in the last 20 years. (Presumably the powers that be thought that "Order" would confuse children when the whole thing is about order, so they changed it to "Exponent".)

I really don't know what I was taught. :rolleyes: But as far back as I can recall I've assumed the "O" stood for "of", as in "one-third of ...". So your reference to "Order" meant nothing to me (What is order?). But a quick google search reassured me that I'm not alone with the "of" interpretation; this author considers it "of", too. http://www.key2study.com/bodmas.htm

NascentOxygen said:
I really don't know what I was taught. :rolleyes: But as far back as I can recall I've assumed the "O" stood for "of", as in "one-third of ...". So your reference to "Order" meant nothing to me (What is order?).
Not sure how "of" as in "one-third of" makes much sense to me, in this context. Isn't "one-third of" just a multiplication (or division depending on how you look at it)?

"Order" is just another word relating to "exponent" or "index" or "power". So, for example in the expression a(b+c)2, you would square (b+c) first before multiplying by 2.
But a quick google search reassured me that I'm not alone with the "of" interpretation; this author considers it "of", too. http://www.key2study.com/bodmas.htm
This page you've referenced doesn't mention powers so I'm not convinced of its validity really.

FAQ: Dividing exponents, Why don't I use BEDMAS for this?

1. Why is BEDMAS not used when dividing exponents?

BEDMAS (or PEMDAS) is an acronym used to remember the order of operations in math: Brackets, Exponents, Division and Multiplication, and Addition and Subtraction. When dividing exponents, we follow a different set of rules called the Quotient Rule. This rule states that when dividing two exponents with the same base, we subtract the exponents. This is why BEDMAS does not apply when dividing exponents.

2. How do I divide two exponents with the same base?

To divide two exponents with the same base, we use the Quotient Rule. The rule states that when dividing two exponents with the same base, we subtract the exponents. For example, to divide x^3 by x^2, we would subtract the exponents and get x^(3-2) = x^1 = x.

3. Can I simplify a fraction with exponents?

Yes, you can simplify a fraction with exponents by dividing the exponents using the Quotient Rule. For example, if we have (x^4)/(x^2), we can simplify it to x^(4-2) = x^2.

4. What happens when the exponents are negative?

When the exponents are negative, we use the Negative Exponent Rule. This rule states that when an exponent is negative, we can move it to the denominator and change the sign of the exponent to positive. For example, if we have (x^-2)/(x^-3), we can rewrite it as (x^3)/(x^2).

5. Can I use the Quotient Rule to divide exponents with different bases?

No, the Quotient Rule can only be used when dividing exponents with the same base. When dividing exponents with different bases, we need to follow a different set of rules called the Power Rule. This rule states that when dividing exponents with different bases, we can rewrite it as a single exponent by multiplying the bases and dividing the exponents. For example, if we have (x^3)/(y^2), we can rewrite it as (xy)^(3-2) = (xy)^1 = xy.

Back