Dividing Polynomials: How to Solve (4s^3+4s^2+72)/(s+3)

In summary, the discussion is about a question and its answer in a technical math section. The question involves dividing (4s3+4s2 + 72) by (s+3), and the correct answer is 4s2 - 8s + 24. The conversation includes someone asking for help on how to get the +24 term in their answer, with others offering suggestions and asking for clarification on the problem. The summary concludes with a request for the original poster to provide a picture of their work for further assistance.
camel-man
Mod note: Moved from a technical math section, so missing the template.

I have this question and the answer but my mathXL does not show me how it came to this conclusion.

(4s3+4s2 + 72)/ s+3I got all the way to the answer 4s2 - 8s

The correct answer is 4s2 - 8s + 24

I just don't know the steps to getting the +24, because when worked the problem, you cannot minus 72 from 24s.

Anyone can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you did your long division you might have left out the term with s in the numerator. When you work it out it should look like 4s3 + 4s2 + 0s + 72.

YEs that was the problem! thank you Fourier jr

camel-man said:

I have this question and the answer but my mathXL does not show me how it came to this conclusion.

I just don't know the steps to getting the +24, because when worked the problem, you cannot minus 72 from 24s.

Anyone can help?
Check your division. Long division is difficult to type up on computers, so if you could take a picture of your work and post it, we could show you where you went wrong.

camel-man said:

Anyone can help?

You wrote
[tex] \frac{4s^3+4s^2+72}{s} + 3, [/tex]
which is very easy to complete. Did you really mean that, or did you intend
[tex] \frac{4s^3+4s^2+72}{s + 3}\;? [/tex]
If so, use parentheses, like this: (4s^3+4s^2+72)/(s+3). This is a bit harder than the problem you wrote.

FAQ: Dividing Polynomials: How to Solve (4s^3+4s^2+72)/(s+3)

1. What is the process for dividing polynomials?

The process for dividing polynomials involves using long division or synthetic division to divide one polynomial by another. This is similar to dividing numbers, except you must take into account the variables and exponents in each term.

2. Can you divide a polynomial by a polynomial with a higher degree?

Yes, you can divide a polynomial by a polynomial with a higher degree. However, the resulting quotient will have a remainder, and the degree of the remainder will always be less than the degree of the divisor.

3. What do you do if there is a missing term in the polynomial?

If there is a missing term in the polynomial, you can insert a placeholder term with a coefficient of 0. This will help you keep track of the degrees and exponents as you divide the polynomials.

4. How do you know if you have divided the polynomials correctly?

If you have divided the polynomials correctly, the remainder should be 0. You can also check your answer by multiplying the quotient with the divisor and adding the remainder to see if it equals the original dividend.

5. Can you use the same process to divide polynomials with more than two terms?

Yes, the process for dividing polynomials remains the same regardless of the number of terms in the polynomials. You will still use long division or synthetic division to divide the polynomials and follow the same steps.

Back