Dividing with exponential functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a tangency condition in microeconomic consumer theory and the steps to arrive at the solution. The first order conditions and the division of L'(x) by L'(y) are explained. The confusion arises when the simplified factor becomes y/x instead of x/y. The correct factor is (a/1-a) * y/x, which can be simplified to y/x.
amaya244

Homework Statement

When attempting to divide the following equality (a "tangency condition" in microeconomic consumer theory), I'm puzzled by the solution derived here, please explain the procedure for arriving at the solution. Many thanks!

Homework Equations

I differentiated the Lagrangian wrt x and y:

L = P1x1 + P2x2 + λ[U - xαy1-α]

First order conditions

L'(x) = P1 - λαxα-1y1-α = 0

L'(y) = P2 - λ(1-a)xαy = 0

The "tangency condition" requires that we divide L'(x) by L'(y): Doing so, and carrying the second half of each function to the other side, we get:

P1/P2 = λαxα-1y1-α / λ(1-a)xαy

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is where I get confused. How did the we arrive at the next step:

P1/P2 = α/(1-α) . x/y

Please explain you get x/y from the tangency condition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like they just simplified, but as written the factor should be y/x.

I get P1/P2 = (a/1-a) * y/x

x^(a-1) / x^a --> x^(a-1-a) --> x^(-1)--> 1/x

and

y^(1-a) / y^(-a) --> y^(1-a+a) --> y^(1) --> y

Muphrid said:
Looks like they just simplified, but as written the factor should be y/x.

You're right, it says y/x not x/y. My mistake. Does it all look okay to you then?

jedishrfu said:
I get P1/P2 = (a/1-a) * y/x

x^(a-1) / x^a --> x^(a-1-a) --> x^(-1)--> 1/x

and

y^(1-a) / y^(-a) --> y^(1-a+a) --> y^(1) --> y

Thanks.
Then, can we say 1/x times y is y/x?

thats a yes

FAQ: Dividing with exponential functions

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable is in the exponent. It is commonly written as f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant and x is the independent variable. Exponential functions are characterized by a rapid growth or decay rate.

How do you divide with exponential functions?

To divide with exponential functions, you can use the quotient rule for exponents. This rule states that when dividing exponential expressions with the same base, you can subtract the exponents. For example, (a^x)/(a^y) = a^(x-y).

What is the relationship between exponential functions and logarithms?

Exponential functions and logarithms are inverse operations of each other. This means that if you apply an exponential function to a number, the resulting number can be used as the exponent in a logarithmic function with the same base to get back to the original number. The inverse relationship between these two functions is often used to solve equations involving exponential functions.

What is the domain and range of an exponential function?

The domain of an exponential function is all real numbers, while the range depends on the value of the base. If the base is greater than 1, the range will be all positive real numbers. If the base is between 0 and 1, the range will be between 0 and 1. And if the base is negative, the range will alternate between positive and negative values.

How are exponential functions used in real life?

Exponential functions are used to model many real-life phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to describe processes that exhibit exponential behavior. Additionally, many technological advancements, such as the growth of computer processing speeds, can be modeled using exponential functions.

Back