Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] confusing me

In summary, according to the Division Algorithm, for any ring R and polynomials f(x) and g(x) in R[x], with f(x) /= 0 and the leading coefficient of f(x) being a unit in R, the operation of g(x) / f(x) will result in unique quotient and remainder polynomials, q(x) and r(x), satisfying certain conditions. However, the given values for q(x) and r(x) do not meet these conditions, leading to an invalid result.
PsychonautQQ
I will be using /= to mean 'does not equal'.

From my textbook:
Division Algorithm: Let R be any ring and let f(x) and g(x) be polynomials in R[x]. Assume that f(x) /= 0 and that the leading coefficient of f(x) is a unit in R. then unique determined polynomials q(x) and r(x) exist such that
1) g(x) = q(x)f(x) + r(x)
2) Either r(x) = 0 or deg[r(x)] < deg[f(x)]

Can somebody explain to me why the following values for the given functions is invalid?
q(x) = 2x+3
f(x) = 3x+4
r(x) = 3x^2
g(x) = 9x^2 +17x+12

These polynomials work and deg[r(x)] = deg[f(x)], more importantly, deg[r(x)] is not less than deg[f(x)].

I'm assuming part of the reason why what I said is invalid is because f(x) and g(x) aren't polynomails in R[x] or something? Need some math guru to help this noob :D

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
I will be using /= to mean 'does not equal'.

From my textbook:
Division Algorithm: Let R be any ring and let f(x) and g(x) be polynomials in R[x]. Assume that f(x) /= 0 and that the leading coefficient of f(x) is a unit in R. then unique determined polynomials q(x) and r(x) exist such that

Can somebody explain to me why the following values for the given functions is invalid?
q(x) = 2x+3
f(x) = 3x+4
r(x) = 3x^2
g(x) = 9x^2 +17x+12

These polynomials work and deg[r(x)] = deg[f(x)], more importantly, deg[r(x)] is not less than deg[f(x)].

I'm assuming part of the reason why what I said is invalid is because f(x) and g(x) aren't polynomails in R[x] or something? Need some math guru to help this noob :D

Let's unscramble your post a bit.

You are given two polynomials
f(x) = 3x+4
g(x) = 9x2 +17x+12

and asked something about two other polynomials which supposedly result from doing the operation g(x) / f(x), where

q(x) = 2x+3
r(x) = 3x2

IOW, q(x) is supposed to represent the quotient of g(x) / (f(x), and r(x) is supposed to represent any remainder from this operation.

According to 1) above, the first order of business is to check to see if

and second, to determine if

Now, q(x) and r(x) as given may result g(x) when inserted into 1) and all of the algebra is carried out. However, the conditions in 2) are not met, since r(x) ≠ 0 and the degree of r(x), namely 2, is not less than the degree of f(x), which is 1. Your statement that deg [r(x)] = deg [f(x)] is incorrect.

Since conditions 1) and 2) are not satisfied jointly, q(x) and r(x) are not the proper quotient and remainder polynomials which should be produced by the operation g(x) / f(x).

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] confusing me

1. What is the Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x]?

The Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] is a mathematical process used to divide one polynomial by another polynomial in the ring of polynomials with real coefficients. It is based on the concept of long division, where the divisor is multiplied by a suitable polynomial to obtain a remainder that is smaller than the original polynomial.

2. How is the Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] different from regular long division?

The Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] is different from regular long division in that it deals with polynomials instead of numbers. In regular long division, the divisor is always a single number, while in polynomial division, the divisor can be a polynomial of any degree.

3. Can the Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] be used for all types of polynomials?

Yes, the Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] can be used for all types of polynomials, including monomials, binomials, trinomials, and polynomials with higher degrees. It is a universal method for dividing polynomials and does not depend on the specific form of the polynomials.

4. What is the significance of the remainder in polynomial division?

The remainder in polynomial division represents the part of the dividend that could not be divided by the divisor. It is important because it allows us to express the quotient as a fraction, where the numerator is the remainder and the denominator is the divisor.

5. How is the Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] useful in real-world applications?

The Division Algorithm for Polynomials in R[x] is useful in real-world applications, such as engineering and physics, where polynomial functions are commonly used to model real-world phenomena. It allows us to simplify complex polynomial expressions and solve problems involving polynomial equations.