Do All Bounded Monotone Sequences Converge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a bounded monotone sequence. The proof for a bounded monotone increasing sequence involves using the least upper bound and great lower bound, while the proof for a bounded monotone decreasing sequence involves using only the great lower bound. The great lower bound has two properties: for every n, a_{n} is greater than or equal to the limit L, and for any positive number ε, there exists a positive number N(ε) such that a_{N(ε)} is less than L-ε. The proof involves showing that a_{n} is between L and L+ε for n greater than N(ε).
kmikias

Homework Statement

A bounded monotone sequence converges.
Proof
for bounded monotone increasing sequence and decreasing sequence.
Does both them converges?

Homework Equations

So, I used the least upper bound and great lower bound to prove increasing sequence and decreasing sequence.

Property of LUB and GREAT LOWER BOUND.

The Attempt at a Solution

a bounded monotone increasing sequence to converge...
Proof.
a_{n} is monotone increaing if n > N(ε), then a_{n}≥ a_{N(ε)} > L -ε. But a_{n) ≤ L.
thus L - ε < a_{n} ≤ L for n > N(ε); that is | a_{n} - L | < ε for n>N(ε). Δ

Proof for a bounded monotone decreasing sequence to converge..
this is where i got lost.

so i used great lower bound to do the proof.
we know G.L.B has this two property
1. a_{n} ≥ L for every n
2. for ε > 0, there exist a positive number N(ε) SUCH THAT a_{N(ε)} < L-ε

so
a_{n} is monotone decresing if n > N(ε), then L ≤ a_{n} ≤ L +ε. am kind of lost here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Additional to the question i asked,

a_{N(E)} < L - E
THEN
a_{(N(E)} < L - E < a_{n}
but we know
a_{n} >= L
THEN
L <= a_{n} <= L+E

BUT I STILL HAVE PROBLEM BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW IF a_{n} <= L+E IS TRUE.

Related to Do All Bounded Monotone Sequences Converge?

1. What is a bounded sequence?

A bounded sequence is a sequence of numbers that are all contained within a certain range or interval. This means that all the numbers in the sequence are neither infinitely large nor infinitely small, but rather have a finite upper and lower limit.

2. How is a bounded sequence different from an unbounded sequence?

A bounded sequence has a finite limit, while an unbounded sequence does not. This means that the terms in an unbounded sequence can grow infinitely large (or small), while the terms in a bounded sequence are always contained within a specific range.

3. What does it mean for a bounded sequence to converge?

A bounded sequence converges when the terms in the sequence approach a single, finite limit as the sequence continues. This means that as more terms are added to the sequence, the values get closer and closer to a specific number.

4. How do you determine if a bounded sequence converges?

To determine if a bounded sequence converges, you can use the Monotone Convergence Theorem. This theorem states that if a bounded sequence is increasing and has an upper limit, or if it is decreasing and has a lower limit, then the sequence will converge.

5. Can a bounded sequence diverge?

Yes, a bounded sequence can also diverge. This means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a finite limit, but instead continue to increase or decrease without bound. An example of this is a sequence with alternating positive and negative terms that oscillate between two values.