Do electrical engineers need to know programming?

In summary, electrical engineers should have a solid understanding of programming, with the specific language depending on their work and tools. Many EEs use MATLAB for calculations and simulations, while others use Python or Tcl/Tk for scripting tasks. C is considered a must for all engineers, with C++ becoming increasingly popular. It is suggested to start with whichever language is more relevant to one's work, but learning both is beneficial. Real-life applications, such as programming a microcontroller, can make learning C more interesting.
SuperMiguel
do electrical engineers need to know programming? specifically C language

Physics news on Phys.org
SuperMiguel said:
do electrical engineers need to know programming? specifically C language

I'd say that all EEs shouldl be comfortable programming in some language. Which language would generally depend on what kind of work you do, and what tools you use.

Many EEs program in MATLAB, because it has good links to outside hardware and is good for calculations and simulations. Others use a language more like Python or Tcl/Tk, because they need good scripting abilities (like for IC design tasks). Others program in C or variations of C, as in working with Embedded Systems.

should i start with MATLAB or with something like C

It doesn't really matter. MatLAB costs money however, but any free ide/compiler will work for C

C is a must for every engineer. Frankly, I consider c++ to be a must these days as well.
For example, device drivers and microcontroller programming are typically written/done in C.

Higher level scripting languages like MATLAB, Python and others are becoming increasingly more popular.

All speed critical applications are based on C/C++.

physiker_192 said:
C is a must for every engineer. Frankly, I consider c++ to be a must these days as well.
For example, device drivers and microcontroller programming are typically written/done in C.

Higher level scripting languages like MATLAB, Python and others are becoming increasingly more popular.

All speed critical applications are based on C/C++.

is it easier to learn python and then C, or C and then python...

I keep trying to learn C, but i find it very very boring =(

Program a real chip with arms and legs (or LEDs) and it won't be so boring.

Try the free C compiler from Microchip. Make an LED blink on and off every second. You'll learn some C in an applied way.

FAQ: Do electrical engineers need to know programming?

1. Do electrical engineers really need to know programming?

Yes, programming is becoming an increasingly important skill for electrical engineers. With the rise of smart and connected devices, being able to program and code is crucial for designing and developing these technologies.

2. What programming languages should electrical engineers learn?

It is recommended for electrical engineers to have a strong understanding of at least one high-level programming language, such as C++, Java, or Python. Each language has its own benefits and applications, so it is beneficial for an electrical engineer to have a diverse skill set.

3. How does programming benefit electrical engineering?

Programming allows electrical engineers to automate tasks, analyze and process data, and create simulations to test and improve designs. It also enables them to work with microcontrollers and other embedded systems that are essential for modern electrical engineering projects.

4. Can I be a successful electrical engineer without knowing how to program?

While it is possible to have a successful career as an electrical engineer without extensive programming knowledge, having programming skills can greatly enhance job opportunities and career growth. It is also becoming increasingly necessary in the field, so it is beneficial to have a basic understanding at the very least.

5. Are there any resources available to help electrical engineers learn programming?

Yes, there are many resources available for electrical engineers to learn programming, including online courses, books, and workshops. Additionally, many universities now offer courses specifically tailored for electrical engineers to learn programming skills. It is important to continuously update and improve programming skills as technology and programming languages evolve.

Back