Do Gearheads and Encoders Affect DC Motor Inertia and Time Constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Faulhaber 2342024CR DC micromotor in a thesis on DC motor position control using Simulink's Real Time windows target. The speaker is having trouble simulating the motor due to discrepancies in the values provided by the manufacturer, specifically the inertia and time constant. They are wondering how these values may change if the motor is combined with a gearhead and encoder. It is mentioned that inertia is affected by adding a gear reducer and encoder, and the time constant may increase proportionally. A helpful resource is also provided for further information.
etinios
Hello,

I'm doing my thesis on dc motor position control, using the Simulink's Real Time windows target.The dc motor is Faulhaber 2342024CR(DC micromotor). First of all, I need to simulate the motor so as to have a full simulation of the whole system(motor,servoamplifier). The problem is that the values given by the manufacturer do not correspond to the real ones. Can anyone tell me if the inertia and the time constant of the motor change if the motor is combined with a gearhead and an encoder?The manufacturer says that these values vary but I have found a difference quite big:tm(time constant)=0.006sec(datasheet) and tm=0.028sec(real). Is it possible?How does the inertia change?Thanks you in advance!I am desperate!I cannot find the model:(

Engineering news on Phys.org
etinios said:
Can anyone tell me if the inertia and the time constant of the motor change if the motor is combined with a gearhead and an encoder?The manufacturer says that these values vary but I have found a difference quite big:tm(time constant)=0.006sec(datasheet) and tm=0.028sec(real). Is it possible?How does the inertia change?Thanks you in advance!I am desperate!I cannot find the model:(

Yes, inertia is definitely affected by adding a gear reducer and encoder (and additional load if applicable).

Jm = motor inertia

Jsystem (measured at motor shaft) = Jm + Jencoder + Jreducer + Jload / ratio^2

Note that load inertia seen at the reducer input is reduced by the square of the gear ratio.

I expect that the time constant will increase proportionally with inertia.

Consider the system as a whole, not the motor alone.

Found the following from a quick search that you may find interesting:

http://www.control.com/thread/1001363524

Last edited:

Related to Do Gearheads and Encoders Affect DC Motor Inertia and Time Constant?

What is a DC motor position control?

A DC motor position control is a system that allows for precise and accurate control of the position of a DC motor. It uses feedback from sensors to adjust the motor's speed and direction in order to maintain a desired position.

What are the components of a DC motor position control system?

The main components of a DC motor position control system include a DC motor, a position sensor (such as an encoder), a controller (such as a microcontroller or PLC), and a power source. Other components may include a driver circuit, amplifiers, and communication interfaces.

What are the benefits of using a DC motor position control system?

Using a DC motor position control system offers several benefits, including precise and accurate control over motor position, increased efficiency and energy savings, reduced wear and tear on the motor, and the ability to automate and integrate with other systems.

What are some applications of DC motor position control?

DC motor position control systems are commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings, such as in robotics, CNC machines, and automated assembly lines. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as in cameras and drones, for precise positioning.

How do I choose the right DC motor position control system for my application?

When choosing a DC motor position control system, factors to consider include the required precision and accuracy, the maximum load and speed of the motor, the operating environment, and budget. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or supplier to determine the best system for your specific needs.