Do graduate schools accept distance education degrees?

In summary, the individual is seeking to switch from a 3 year BEng in Mechanical from a British university to a BSc degree with a major in Physics from an Indian distance education university. They are concerned about whether this degree will be accepted by American universities for their graduate programs and the weightage given to distance education degrees. They have also attached a program outline and are seeking advice on whether it would be sufficient for their goals.
sid0123
I hold a 3 year BEng in Mechanical from a British university and currently I am working. I want to switch over to Physics. I am planning to do a BSc degree with Physics major from an distance education university in India namely IGNOU i.e. Indira Gandhi National Open University.
This program will be of 3 years and includes the practical component too!
I want to know if it will be accepted by the American universities for their graduate program or now?
I am confused about this distance education thing because I am afraid if they give these degrees equal weightage as a full time degree or not.
I have attached the program outline. If anyone can see that and tell me if that would be sufficient or not, I'd be really thankful.

Kindly help.

Thanks

Attachments

• BSc (Physics) SYLLABUS.pdf
    199 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
The important details have more to do with accreditation than distance learning.

sid0123 said:
I hold a 3 year BEng in Mechanical from a British university and currently I am working. I want to switch over to Physics. I am planning to do a BSc degree with Physics major from an distance education university in India namely IGNOU i.e. Indira Gandhi National Open University.
This program will be of 3 years and includes the practical component too!
I want to know if it will be accepted by the American universities for their graduate program or now?
I am confused about this distance education thing because I am afraid if they give these degrees equal weightage as a full time degree or not.
I have attached the program outline. If anyone can see that and tell me if that would be sufficient or not, I'd be really thankful.

Kindly help.

Thanks

I don't open things on line so didn't look at it.

You already have a degree? Then you shouldn't have to do another 3 years for another bachelor's in science if your degrees have crossover material. Did you not do Calculus, some physics, etc?

As for accepting the degree . It depends. Every institution has its own criteria for acceptance. You should contact a couple directly and explain your aspirations. You don't always need a degree in a specific discipline to do a graduate program in that discipline...especially if your planned concentration and thesis ties into your undergraduate degree.

@Dr. Courtney - US universities recognize all the AIU (Association of Indian Universities) i accredited degrees. And have checked with AIU that the degree is well accredited and recognized. I just want to know if the universities differentiate between a distance education degree holder and a full-time degree holder.

@tom aaron Sir, I do have studied Calculus during my engineering degree. But not so deeply. Also, we studied just the basic Physics in the first year. Apart from Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, we have mostly studied application of Physics such as Theory of Machines, Robotics etc.

I am planning to get a physics bachelor degree to make my basics strong. Is it advisable to do so? I mean another Bachelor?

sid0123 said:
@Dr. Courtney - US universities recognize all the AIU (Association of Indian Universities) i accredited degrees. And have checked with AIU that the degree is well accredited and recognized. I just want to know if the universities differentiate between a distance education degree holder and a full-time degree holder.

@tom aaron Sir, I do have studied Calculus during my engineering degree. But not so deeply. Also, we studied just the basic Physics in the first year. Apart from Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, we have mostly studied application of Physics such as Theory of Machines, Robotics etc.

I am planning to get a physics bachelor degree to make my basics strong. Is it advisable to do so? I mean another Bachelor?

I wouldn't. You could add a few courses to a Masters to give you better tools (if needed). If you get into a Masters and focus on a topic, you will find it more stimulating. Doing a Bachelors followed by another might be more of a chore than a positive challenge. Also, doing a Masters will be an eye opener to what you may actually want to do...some new world may open up to you.

Needless to say, a Masters will also give you more opportunity when applying for positions.

@tom aaron Thank you for the advise. But it is very difficult to find a Masters in Physics without having a Bachelors degree in Physics. Most of the universities in India have a prerequisite of having studied a Bachelors course majoring in Physics. Same is the case with universities in Germany. I'd be really happy if you can tell me some of the universities which admit engineering students in the Masters program.

Thank you

tom aaron said:
I wouldn't. You could add a few courses to a Masters to give you better tools (if needed). If you get into a Masters and focus on a topic, you will find it more stimulating. Doing a Bachelors followed by another might be more of a chore than a positive challenge. Also, doing a Masters will be an eye opener to what you may actually want to do...some new world may open up to you.

Needless to say, a Masters will also give you more opportunity when applying for positions.

Just a note on qualifications. Internationally accepted is not the same as a graduate department accepting students. Departments are made up of individual professors. They are no different from anyone else. Two students...one has a degree from Oxford, one a degree from no name college. Perhaps the prof hates Oxford but, all things equal...

Related to Do graduate schools accept distance education degrees?

1. What is a distance education degree?

A distance education degree is a type of academic qualification that is obtained through online or remote learning methods, rather than in-person attendance at a traditional university or college. This can include virtual classrooms, online lectures and assignments, and other forms of digital communication with professors and peers.

2. Can I get accepted into a graduate school with a distance education degree?

Yes, many graduate schools do accept distance education degrees as long as they are obtained from an accredited institution. However, it is always best to check with the specific graduate program you are interested in to ensure they accept distance education degrees.

3. How do graduate schools view distance education degrees compared to traditional degrees?

Graduate schools generally view distance education degrees in the same light as traditional degrees, as long as they are obtained from accredited institutions. However, some may have specific preferences or requirements for certain fields of study. It is important to research the specific graduate program you are interested in to understand their perspective on distance education degrees.

4. Are there any limitations to using a distance education degree for graduate school?

Some graduate programs may have specific limitations on the use of distance education degrees, such as only accepting them for certain programs or not accepting them at all. Additionally, some employers may have preferences for traditional degrees over distance education degrees. It is important to research the specific program and industry you are interested in to understand any limitations.

5. How can I ensure that my distance education degree will be accepted by a graduate school?

The best way to ensure that your distance education degree will be accepted by a graduate school is to research the specific program and its requirements. It is also important to obtain your degree from an accredited institution, as this will increase its credibility and likelihood of being accepted. Additionally, some graduate programs may require additional materials or documentation to support your distance education degree, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation. It is important to follow all application requirements and provide any necessary information to increase your chances of acceptance.