Do I need a 360 servo or stepper motor?

In summary, Jarfi suggests that a stepper motor be used in place of a 360° servo for the system he is working on because it has continuous rotation, is not limited to 180°, and is less expensive than a 360° servo. He also mentions that he is not familiar with stepper motors and suggests that someone more experienced look into using one for the task at hand.
Jarfi
Hey guys. Jarfi here,

I'm working on some gear, a system powered by a rotation that needs to move at least 360 degrees.

Requirements:

Fast rotations(used for stabilization)
Fast response time
needs to be able to hold a position like servos do
needs to be not too big, under 5x5cm area and under <3,5cm height
-okay with not too much precicion, it's not a 3d printer
-okay with not too much torque, it's not a robotic arm

Servo; larger area and small height, Ideal for the situation. Holds position, fast rotation/response time
but the only con was that a 360 degree servo is expensive and there aren't many out there, it's 90% 180°.

Stepper motor; ?

I just know that a stepper motor has continuous rotation, so that it's not limited to 180° like standard servos are. But is it good for the task? is it more or less expensive than a 360° servo? I've never worked with one so I'm a bit hazy on all this.

My thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really know very little about stepper motors, but from what I've read I believe that such is the appropriate device for your purposes. Don't take my word for it, though.

I would have thought that a DC motor would have met the requirement.
Do you really need digital step control or just a DC servo?

Jarfi said:
Hey guys. Jarfi here,

I'm working on some gear, a system powered by a rotation that needs to move at least 360 degrees.

Requirements:

Fast rotations(used for stabilization)
Fast response time
needs to be able to hold a position like servos do
needs to be not too big, under 5x5cm area and under <3,5cm height
-okay with not too much precicion, it's not a 3d printer
-okay with not too much torque, it's not a robotic arm

Servo; larger area and small height, Ideal for the situation. Holds position, fast rotation/response time
but the only con was that a 360 degree servo is expensive and there aren't many out there, it's 90% 180°.

Stepper motor; ?

I just know that a stepper motor has continuous rotation, so that it's not limited to 180° like standard servos are. But is it good for the task? is it more or less expensive than a 360° servo? I've never worked with one so I'm a bit hazy on all this.

My thanks in advance

Off the top of my head from the info on your post that precision or torque aren't critical but holding is just use a 90 or 180 servo with a 4 or 2:1 speed increaser. (the opposite of a reducer) . Bear in mind you will lose torque proportionally to the change in speed plus some inefficiencies in the power transmission through the gears.

Norm Morin said:
Off the top of my head from the info on your post that precision or torque aren't critical but holding is just use a 90 or 180 servo with a 4 or 2:1 speed increaser. (the opposite of a reducer) . Bear in mind you will lose torque proportionally to the change in speed plus some inefficiencies in the power transmission through the gears.

Ah yes, that is wise... I ended up doing something similar, just narrowed down the rotation required from around 250° to under 180° by modifying the gears

Related to Do I need a 360 servo or stepper motor?

1. What is the difference between a 360 servo and a stepper motor?

A 360 servo is a type of motor that can rotate continuously in a full 360-degree range, whereas a stepper motor moves in small, precise steps and can rotate a limited number of degrees at a time.

2. How do I know which type of motor is better for my project?

The type of motor you need depends on the specific requirements of your project. If you need continuous rotation and speed control, a 360 servo may be the better option. If you require precise positioning and control, a stepper motor may be more suitable.

3. Can a 360 servo or stepper motor be used for both rotation and linear movement?

Yes, both types of motors can be used for both rotation and linear movement. However, a 360 servo may be more suitable for linear movement due to its continuous rotation capability.

4. Are there any limitations to using a 360 servo or stepper motor?

Both types of motors have their own limitations. A 360 servo may not be able to handle heavy loads or high torque, while a stepper motor may not be as efficient at high speeds.

5. How do I control a 360 servo or stepper motor?

Both types of motors can be controlled using a microcontroller, such as an Arduino, or a motor driver. The specific control method may vary depending on the type of motor and your project's requirements.