Do I Need Calculus or Another Mathematics to Use This Book?

In summary, you don't need calculus to use this book, but it would be beneficial and you will need to be prepared for proofs in an algebra class.
adelin
Do I Need Calculus or Another Advanced Mathematics to Use This Book?

I would like to learn the material from the first to the sixth chapter in An Introduction to Mathematical Thinking: Algebra and Number Systems.

Here are the topics in the book
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~wgilbert/Books/MathThinking.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a bit of set theory (Chapter 1 in that book)?

If so, look up these topics online: natural numbers, integers, well-ordering principle, peano arithmetic (get the sense from this of describing a known set by simple rules), rational numbers, construction of the rational numbers (skip this if it is too difficult), real numbers (skip if too difficult).

A brief look through this stuff should set you in the correct frame of mind to read Ch.6.

Simon Bridge said:
What level is your math now?

I have taken Discrete Mathematics and Pre-Calculus.

Reading the book description from pearson website, it sounds like a rigorous introduction to proof writing. Although exposure to calculus would probably be beneficial, I don't believe it is a necessary condition to read the book.

adelin said:
I have taken Discrete Mathematics and Pre-Calculus.
Doesn't really mean anything to me ... pretend that I am in a different country and culture so I am unfamiliar with your education system ;)

Generally - an introduction to algebra is unlikely to need calculus as a prerequisite - unless the book says so. Exposure to other areas of math is always helpful though. The main thing is to make sure you have acquired the prerequisite skills that the book expects ... which can be hard to judge before getting the book. That's why I'm asking about your level of learning - are those courses in the secondary or tertiary programs (i.e. for USA: high school or college)?

Off the names - it looks like you are better equipped to advance along a calculus track than an algebra one - both will teach algebra, but from different perspectives. I would also hope that you have been exposed to continuous mathematics as well as discrete :) If the discrete course had a lot of proofs in it, then you are probably prepared for the kinds of things in an algebra course.

FAQ: Do I Need Calculus or Another Mathematics to Use This Book?

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with change and motion. It is important because it is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

2. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand this book?

While having a strong mathematical background can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand this book. The book will provide the necessary mathematical concepts and equations needed to understand the content.

3. Can I use this book without any prior knowledge of calculus?

Yes, you can use this book without any prior knowledge of calculus. However, some basic understanding of algebra and geometry will be helpful in understanding the concepts presented in the book.

4. Is calculus the only type of mathematics used in this book?

No, calculus is not the only type of mathematics used in this book. Other branches of mathematics such as algebra, geometry, and statistics may also be used depending on the content being discussed.

5. Will this book teach me calculus or assume that I already know it?

This book assumes that you have a basic understanding of calculus, but it will not teach you calculus from scratch. It will focus on how to apply calculus in specific contexts and may provide a brief review of important concepts as needed.