Do I need the special areospace or aeronautic degrees?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the speaker needs a specific aerospace or aeronautic engineering degree in order to work in the aerospace field. The speaker is considering attending a local college with a strong engineering and physics department but is unsure about which degree to pursue. The other person suggests checking out the American Physical Society's website for more information and also mentions that mechanical or electrical engineering degrees are also viable options for working in the aerospace industry.
Tyrion101
Do I need the special "areospace" or "aeronautic" degrees?

I've been thinking about going to a local college that has a very good engineering and physics department and was wondering if I needed the specific areospace or aeronautic engeneering titles or do I just need mechanical engineering or electrical or something I haven't considered?

Physics news on Phys.org

Depends on what you want to do.

At this point, all I know is, I either want to go into physics or engineering, beyond that, I haven't decided yet. I honestly don't know my career options with either degrees. Where would be the best place to find out?

If you don't have much idea what you want to do, I would go for one of the big "generai" branches like mechanical or electrical engineering.

Don't get the wrong idea that you "need" an aero eng degree to work in aerospace. There are many MEs and EE's there.

Related to Do I need the special areospace or aeronautic degrees?

What is the difference between aerospace and aeronautic degrees?

Aerospace degrees focus on the design, development, and production of spacecraft and related technologies, while aeronautic degrees focus on the design, development, and production of aircraft and related technologies.

Do I need a specific degree to work in the aerospace or aeronautic industry?

While having a degree in aerospace or aeronautics is beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many employers also consider candidates with degrees in related fields such as mechanical engineering or physics.

What skills do I need to have for a career in aerospace or aeronautics?

Some essential skills for a career in aerospace or aeronautics include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work as part of a team.

What types of jobs can I get with an aerospace or aeronautic degree?

With an aerospace or aeronautic degree, you can pursue a variety of careers such as aerospace engineer, aircraft designer, flight test engineer, avionics technician, and more.

Do I need to get a graduate degree for a career in aerospace or aeronautics?

While a graduate degree can enhance your job opportunities and earning potential, it is not always required. Many entry-level positions in the aerospace and aeronautic industry only require a bachelor's degree.