Do I Use the Binomial or the Negative Binomial?

In summary, the problem asks whether it is to the advantage of Team A to play the best three out of five games or the best four out of seven games, assuming each game has a probability of 0.4 of being won by Team A and the outcomes of successive games are independent. Using either the binomial or negative binomial distribution, the probability of Team A winning at least three games out of five is the same as the probability of Team A winning the best three out of five and the tournament ending right away.
number0

Homework Statement

Two teams, A and B, play a series of games. If team A has probability .4 of
winning each game, is it to its advantage to play the best three out of five games
or the best four out of seven? Assume the outcomes of successive games are
independent.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution

vs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_binomial_distribution

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is basically a plug and chug problem. However, I do have some difficulties interpreting this problem.

When the problem states "the best three out of five games" and "the best four out of seven games", does it mean that when Team A wins three times or four times (given the respective parameters), does the game end?Example 1: Team A wins three times -> game is over.
Example 2: Team A wins three times -> game continues until 5 games are played.Since a person can interpret this many ways, I decided to just write out the solution for each example.Solution 1: Take the summation of the negative binomial distribution of 3 successes, p = 0.4, and the number of trials from i = 3 to i = 5.

Solution 2: Take the summation of the binomial distribution from i number of successes from i = 3 to i = 5, p = 0.4, and the number of trials is 5. Assuming that if both the cases were true, is my solution or "method" for each one correct? I know that 3 out of 5 game is the correct answer; nevertheless, I am just curious at the process to reach it because many people I met have different interpretations and methods to answer this problem.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at A winning the best 3 out of 5. In the actual tournament, play stops as soon as A wins 3. If A wins the first 3, play stops, but we could, instead, let play continue for two more games and just ignore the results. In that case, in the full 5 games, A would win >= 3 games. If A wins the tournament at game 4, we could go on to play game 5 and just ignore the result. In that case A wins >= 3 games out of 5. Finally, if A wins for the third time at game 5, no extra games are needed. Altogether, the probability that A wins the best 3 of 5 and the tournament then stops right away is the SAME as the probability that A wins at least 3 games in a full 5 games. What probability distribution would you use to compute that probability?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Look at A winning the best 3 out of 5. In the actual tournament, play stops as soon as A wins 3. If A wins the first 3, play stops, but we could, instead, let play continue for two more games and just ignore the results. In that case, in the full 5 games, A would win >= 3 games. If A wins the tournament at game 4, we could go on to play game 5 and just ignore the result. In that case A wins >= 3 games out of 5. Finally, if A wins for the third time at game 5, no extra games are needed. Altogether, the probability that A wins the best 3 of 5 and the tournament then stops right away is the SAME as the probability that A wins at least 3 games in a full 5 games. What probability distribution would you use to compute that probability?

RGV

You could use the binomial. I should've done this a second time just to make sure; but I just used both the binomial and negative binomial distribution, and I reached the same answer. The first time I did it both the probabilities were way off of each other. Nevertheless, what do you mean by "we can just ignore the result"? The result is sort of built into the answer.

Related to Do I Use the Binomial or the Negative Binomial?

1. What is the difference between binomial and negative binomial distributions?

The binomial distribution is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials. The negative binomial distribution is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of failures before a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials.

2. How do I know which distribution to use?

You should use the binomial distribution when you are interested in the probability of a specific number of successes, while the negative binomial distribution is more appropriate when you want to know the probability of reaching a certain number of successes after a certain number of failures.

3. Can I use either distribution for any type of data?

No, the binomial distribution is only applicable when there are two possible outcomes (success or failure) and the trials are independent. The negative binomial distribution is applicable when there are two possible outcomes and the trials are independent, but it also allows for multiple failures before achieving the desired number of successes.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the probabilities in each distribution?

Yes, both the binomial and negative binomial distributions have formulae for calculating probabilities. The binomial formula is P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success. The negative binomial formula is P(x) = (x+r-1)C(x) * p^r * (1-p)^x, where x is the number of failures, r is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success.

5. Can I convert between binomial and negative binomial distributions?

No, these two distributions are distinct and cannot be directly converted into one another. However, in certain cases, the negative binomial distribution can be approximated by the binomial distribution if the probability of success is very small and the number of trials is very large.