Do Lab Report Graphs Need to Include the Origin Point?

In summary, the conversation is about a lab report on centripetal force, frequency, and radius. The question is whether a graph must show the (0,0) points and if an equation of the form y = ax^b is acceptable. The attempt at a solution involves plotting frequency vs radius for a constant centripetal force and determining the proportionality, which is found to be y ∝ x^-0.7429 or y = 36.86 x^-0.7429.
chroncile

Homework Statement

I have to do a lab report on centripetal force, frequency and radius. My question is, does a graph have to show the (0,0) points? Also, I got an equation out of the graphing software for one of the graphs and it was y = 1.51x^0.4233, is it okay to use this equation or y = ax^b?

Homework Equations

y = ax^b
y = 1.51x0.4233

The Attempt at a Solution

None

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you plotting on the graph? Once the axes are labeled, you don't necessarily have to point out (0,0).

I'm plotting Frequency vs radius for a constant centripetal force. Also, the graph has an exponential relation; frequency is exponentially proportional to the radius. But, the graph is going downards, not upwards. So, how do I state the proportionality? Here is the equation:

y = 36.86 x^-0.7429

chroncile said:
I'm plotting Frequency vs radius for a constant centripetal force. Also, the graph has an exponential relation; frequency is exponentially proportional to the radius. But, the graph is going downards, not upwards. So, how do I state the proportionality? Here is the equation:

y = 36.86 x^-0.7429

36.86 is a constant so you can just say that y∝x-0.7429

Like this?

Table 2 shows that frequency decreases with radius. A plot of the frequency vs. radius from the data in Table 2 is drawn in Graph 2. The shape of this graph suggests that y ∝ x-0.7429. The software shows that the curve that best fits the data is given by y = 36.86 x-^0.7429.

Related to Do Lab Report Graphs Need to Include the Origin Point?

1. What is the purpose of including graphs in a lab report?

Graphs are used in lab reports to visually represent data and trends, making the information easier to understand and interpret. They help to highlight key findings and support the conclusions drawn from the experiment.

2. How should graphs be labeled and titled in a lab report?

Graphs should be labeled with a clear and concise title, as well as labeled axes with appropriate units. Any important details, such as the type of graph or key data points, should also be included in the labeling.

3. What types of graphs are commonly used in lab reports?

The most commonly used graphs in lab reports are line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. Line graphs are useful for showing trends over time, bar graphs are useful for comparing data between different groups, and scatter plots are useful for showing relationships between variables.

4. How can I choose the best type of graph for my data?

The best type of graph to use depends on the type of data and the purpose of the graph. Line graphs are best for showing changes over time, bar graphs are best for comparing data, and scatter plots are best for showing relationships between variables. It is important to also consider the audience and the amount of data being presented when choosing a graph.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when creating graphs for a lab report?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when creating graphs for a lab report. These include using a misleading or unclear title, not properly labeling and scaling the axes, using a graph type that is not appropriate for the data, and not clearly indicating any important data points or trends. It is also important to ensure that the graph accurately reflects the data and that it is properly cited if it is not your own original graph.