Do objects of different mass but same size/shape accelerate the same?

• I
  • Thread starter greypilgrim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Shape
greypilgrim
Hi.

I remember having learnt in school that if you'd like to verify that bodies of different mass accelerate the same in free fall, but don't have a vacuum available, the bodies should be of same size and shape (e.g. spheres).

This made sense to me back then because drag should be the same then. But if I write down Newton's 2nd law with gravitational forces and drag and divide by the mass, mass doesn't go away completely, but is still there in "drag/mass", giving rise to different accelerations.

Am I doing something wrong, or do you really need objects of different size (or shape) for them to accelerate the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
Hi.

I remember having learnt in school that if you'd like to verify that bodies of different mass accelerate the same in free fall, but don't have a vacuum available, the bodies should be of same size and shape (e.g. spheres).
You may be misremembering. When air resistance is taken into account, bodies of the same mass only fall at the same rate if they are the same size and shape.
greypilgrim said:
This made sense to me back then because drag should be the same then. But if I write down Newton's 2nd law with gravitational forces and drag and divide by the mass, mass doesn't go away completely, but is still there in "drag/mass", giving rise to different accelerations.
Exactly. You would need more drag force on the object with the greater mass.
greypilgrim said:
Am I doing something wrong, or do you really need objects of different size (or shape) for them to accelerate the same?
When air resistance is taken into account, objects generally do not fall at the same rate. The drag force per per unit mass is the variable in the equation.

Related to Do objects of different mass but same size/shape accelerate the same?

Do objects of different mass but the same size and shape fall at the same rate in a vacuum?

Yes, in a vacuum, where there is no air resistance, objects of different mass but the same size and shape will fall at the same rate. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is constant and does not depend on the mass of the object.

How does air resistance affect the acceleration of objects with different masses but the same size and shape?

Air resistance affects objects differently based on their mass. For objects with the same size and shape, a more massive object will generally experience less deceleration due to air resistance compared to a less massive object. This is because the force of air resistance has a greater effect on the motion of lighter objects.

What is the role of inertia in the acceleration of objects with different masses?

Inertia is the property of an object that resists changes in its state of motion. A more massive object has greater inertia and therefore requires a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as a less massive object. However, in free fall, gravity provides this force, and the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects regardless of their mass.

Can two objects of different masses but the same size and shape reach the ground at the same time if dropped from the same height?

Yes, if dropped from the same height in a vacuum, two objects of different masses but the same size and shape will reach the ground at the same time. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is the same for both objects. In the presence of air resistance, the outcome may differ depending on the specific conditions.

Why does the mass of an object not affect its acceleration due to gravity?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration due to gravity because gravitational force and inertia balance each other out. The gravitational force acting on an object is proportional to its mass, and so is its inertia. As a result, all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity when other forces, such as air resistance, are negligible.