Do we calculate the integral in that way?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the ratio of thicknesses of a two-dimensional fluid stream that falls on a stationary plate and gets separated. The continuity equation and the Bernoulli equation are used to find the velocities at different sections and the force on the plate is calculated using pressure and velocity terms. The conversation also mentions the use of integrals to find the area of a section.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

A two-dimensional fluid stream of thickness $S$ and velocity $c$ (evenly distributed through the thickness of the stream) falls on a stationary plate and gets separated. Calculate the ratio of thicknesses $\frac{S_1}{S_2}$ as a function of the angle $\phi$.

View attachment 4421In my notes there is this solution:

Continuity equation:

Let $c_1$, $c_2$ the velocities of the sections 1, 2

$$0: \overrightarrow{u}=c\hat{e} \ \ , \ \ \overrightarrow{n}_0=-\hat{e}=-(-\sin \phi \hat{i}+\cos \phi \hat{j}) \Rightarrow \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}_0=-c \\ 1: \overrightarrow{u}=c_1 \overrightarrow{n}_1=c_1 \hat{i} \ \ , \ \ \overrightarrow{n}_1=\hat{i} \Rightarrow \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}_1=c_1 \\ 2: \overrightarrow{u}=c_2 \overrightarrow{n}_2=-c_2\hat{i} \ \ , \ \ \overrightarrow{n}_2=-\hat{i} \Rightarrow \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}_2=c_2$$

$$\int_{\partial{W_1}}\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}dA=0 \Rightarrow -c \cdot (S \cdot 1)+c_1 \cdot (S_1 \cdot 1)+c_2 \cdot (S_2 \cdot 1)=0 \Rightarrow cS=c_1S+c_2S_2 \ \ \ \ \ (1) $$

Conservation of energy $\Rightarrow $ Bernoulli equation

$$\frac{1}{2}|\overrightarrow{u}|^2+\frac{p}{\rho_ 0}=\text{ constant along a streamline }$$

$$0 \rightarrow 1 : \frac{1}{2}c^2+\frac{p_a}{\\rho_0}=\frac{1}{2}c_1^ 2+\frac{p_a}{\rho_0} \Rightarrow c_1=c \\ 0 \rightarrow 2 : \frac{1}{2}c^2+\frac{p_a}{\\rho_0}=\frac{1}{2}c_2^ 2+\frac{p_a}{\rho_0} \Rightarrow c_2=c \\ \Rightarrow c_1=c_2=c \ \ \ \ \ (2)$$

$$(1) \wedge (2) \Rightarrow S=S_1+S_2 \ \ \ \ \ (3)$$

$$\overrightarrow{F}_{W_0}=-\int_{\partial_{W_1}}p \overrightarrow{n} dA-\int_{\partial{W_1}}\rho \overrightarrow{u} (\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n})dA$$

$$\int_{\partial_{W_1}}p \overrightarrow{n} dA=p_a \int_{\partial{W_1}}\overrightarrow{n}dA=0$$

$$\int_{\partial{W_1}}\rho \overrightarrow{u} (\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n})dA=\rho_0 (c \hat{e}(-c)S+c_1 \hat{i}c_1S_1+(-c_2 \hat{i})c_2S_2)=(\rho_0c^2S\cos \phi +\rho_0 c_1^2S_1-\rho_0c_2^2S_2)\hat{i}-\rho c^2S\sin \phi \hat{j}=-\overrightarrow{F}_{W_0}$$

$$F_{W_0, x}=-\rho_0c^2(S\cos \phi +S_1-S_2) \ \ \ \ \ (4a) \\ F_{W_0, y}=\rho c^2 S \sin \phi \ \ \ \ \ (4b)$$

Since the fluid is ideal we have that $$F_{W_0, x}=0 \Rightarrow S_2-S_1=S \cos \phi \ \ \ \ \ (5)$$

$$(3) \wedge (5) \Rightarrow \\S_1=\frac{S}{2}(1+\cos \phi) \\ S_2=\frac{S}{2}(1-\cos \phi) \\ \Rightarrow \frac{S_2}{S_1}=\frac{1-\cos \phi}{1+\cos \phi}$$
Do we calculate the integral $$\int_{\partial{W_1}}\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}dA=0 \Rightarrow -c \cdot (S \cdot 1)+c_1 \cdot (S_1 \cdot 1)+c_2 \cdot (S_2 \cdot 1)=0$$ as followed?

$$\int_{\partial{W_1}}\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}dA=0 \Rightarrow \int_{(0)} \overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}dA+\int_{(1)}\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}dA+\int_{(2)}\overrightarrow{u} \cdot \overrightarrow{n}dA=0 \Rightarrow -c\int_{(0)} dA+c_1 \int_{(1)}dA+c_2 \int_{(2)}dA=0$$

To find the integral $\int_{(0)} dA$ do we take a part of the section $(0)$ and calculate its area?? (Wondering)

Attachments

• ratio.png
    ratio.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 69
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! Yes, the integral $\int_{(0)} dA$ can be found by taking a part of the section $(0)$ and calculating its area. The continuity equation is used to ensure that the fluid flow is balanced and the Bernoulli equation is used to calculate the velocities at each section. The force on the plate is then calculated using the pressure and velocity terms. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Do we calculate the integral in that way?

1. How do we calculate an integral?

To calculate an integral, we use a mathematical process called integration, which is the inverse of differentiation. We can calculate an integral by breaking it down into smaller parts and using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. What is the purpose of calculating an integral?

The purpose of calculating an integral is to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is also used to solve various real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Can we calculate an integral in different ways?

Yes, there are various methods for calculating integrals, such as the Riemann sum, Trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of integrals.

4. What is the significance of calculating an integral?

Calculating an integral allows us to find important information about a function, such as its minimum and maximum values, average values, and the behavior of the function over a given interval. It also helps us solve problems that involve continuous change or accumulation.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating an integral?

While integration is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. Some integrals cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods. Additionally, the calculation of certain integrals may be computationally expensive or impossible due to the complexity of the function.