Do we have to show that the relation is irreflexive?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: Thinking)We define $S:=R-I_A$ and we can see what we need to show.$$x \in A\\y \in A$$For all $x,y$?For some $x,y$? Which ones? Please use words.$$xSy \leftrightarrow \langle x,y \rangle \in S=R-I_A\\ \langle x,y \rangle \in R \wedge \langle x,y \rangle \notin I_A$$OK, I am being picky, but what is the relationship of the second line to the first?We want to show
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)

• Let $R$ be an order of the set $A$. Then $R$ induces a strict order $S$ at the set $A$.
    $$$$
  • Let $S$ be a strict order of the set $A$. Then $S$ induces an order $R$ at the set $A$.

The first sentence is proven like that in my notes:

We define $S:=R-I_A$ and we can see that $S$ is a strict order at $A$.

$$x \in A\\y \in A$$

$$xSy \leftrightarrow \langle x,y \rangle \in S=R-I_A\\ \langle x,y \rangle \in R \wedge \langle x,y \rangle \notin I_A$$

We want to show that $\langle y,x \rangle \notin S$.
If not then $\langle y,x \rangle \in S \wedge \langle y,x \rangle \in I_A \leftrightarrow \langle x,x \rangle \notin I_A$.In that way we have shown that $S$ isn't weak antisymmetric.
But don't we also have to show that $S$ is irreflexive?
We know that $S$ is transitive as a subset of a transitive relation, right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
We define $S:=R-I_A$ and we can see want to show that $S$ is a strict order at $A$.

evinda said:
$$x \in A\\y \in A$$
For all $x,y$? For some $x,y$? Which ones? Please use words.

evinda said:
$$xSy \leftrightarrow \langle x,y \rangle \in S=R-I_A\\ \langle x,y \rangle \in R \wedge \langle x,y \rangle \notin I_A$$
OK, I am being picky, but what is the relationship of the second line to the first?

evinda said:
We want to show that $\langle y,x \rangle \notin S$.
Why do we want to show that?

evinda said:
If not then $\langle y,x \rangle \in S \wedge \langle y,x \rangle \in I_A \leftrightarrow \langle x,x \rangle \notin I_A$.
There are too many ways to parse this.

(1) $\langle y,x \rangle \in S$, and also $\langle y,x \rangle \in I_A$ is equivalent to $\langle x,x \rangle \notin I_A$ (but both sides of the equivalence may be false).

(2) $\langle y,x \rangle \in S$ and $\langle y,x \rangle \in I_A$ are together equivalent to $\langle x,x \rangle \notin I_A$ (but both sides may be false).

(3) We have $\langle y,x \rangle \in S$ and $\langle y,x \rangle \in I_A$, and since these statements together are equivalent to $\langle x,x \rangle \notin I_A$, we have the latter.

There are possibly other ways. Please stop abbreviating the flow of reasoning with arrows. This is not helping. Please write words.

evinda said:
In that way we have shown that $S$ isn't weak antisymmetric.
I am not familiar with this concept.

evinda said:
But don't we also have to show that $S$ is irreflexive?
Yes.

evinda said:
We know that $S$ is transitive as a subset of a transitive relation, right?
Not every subset of a transitive relation is transitive.

Related to Do we have to show that the relation is irreflexive?

1. What does it mean for a relation to be irreflexive?

Irreflexivity is a property of a relation in which no element in the set is related to itself. In other words, if A is related to B, then A cannot also be related to A. This is often represented as "A ≠ B".

2. How do we show that a relation is irreflexive?

To show that a relation is irreflexive, we need to prove that there are no elements in the set that are related to themselves. This can be done by providing counterexamples or using logical proofs.

3. What is the difference between irreflexivity and reflexivity?

Reflexivity is a property of a relation in which every element in the set is related to itself. In contrast, irreflexivity is a property in which no element in the set is related to itself. Essentially, irreflexivity is the opposite of reflexivity.

4. Can a relation be both irreflexive and reflexive?

No, a relation cannot be both irreflexive and reflexive at the same time. These two properties are contradictory to each other. If a relation is reflexive, then it cannot be irreflexive and vice versa.

5. Why is it important to show that a relation is irreflexive?

Showing that a relation is irreflexive can help us better understand the properties and behavior of the relation. It can also help us identify any potential errors or inconsistencies in the relation, which can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and social sciences.