Do we know that time actually exists?

• Thread starter Jupiter60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, time is a necessary concept in science, as it helps us model our observations and make predictions. It has been measured since antiquity with watches and clocks, and even though time cannot be seen or touched, it is still considered a real concept. While clocks do not directly prove the existence of time, they do measure it by definition.
Jupiter60
Does it really exist? I personally think that it doesn't, it's just another thing like math which doesn't exist in reality. Is there evidence that time is an actual real thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terms like "actually exist", "reality" and "actual real thing" are not generally meaningful with respect to science. Science is about observations and modeling those observations with theories. Time is vitally necessary for us to model our observations with the predictive and descriptive power that our theories have. In this context its just as "real" as any other vital component of theory.

Yes, we do. It has been measured since antiquity with watches and clocks.

dauto said:
Yes, we do. It has been measured since antiquity with watches and clocks.

Does "time" stop when the watches and clocks hands aren't moving? I don't think so. If I took the battery out of my wall clock, would "time" stop? No, but the clock would. Clocks do not prove the existence of time.

Jupiter60 said:
Does "time" stop when the watches and clocks hands aren't moving? I don't think so.

Correct

Jupiter60 said:
Does "time" stop when the watches and clocks hands aren't moving? I don't think so. If I took the battery out of my wall clock, would "time" stop? No, but the clock would. Clocks do not prove the existence of time.

If I break a ruler would space disappear? If I break a balance does mass stop existing? etc...

You don't really have a point.

I define time as the physical quantity measured by clocks. Since clocks do measure something, time exists.

Jupiter60 said:
Clocks do not prove the existence of time.
Sure they do. They measure something, that something is time, by definition.

Related to Do we know that time actually exists?

1. What evidence do we have that time actually exists?

There are several lines of evidence that suggest time exists. One is the observation of the movement of celestial bodies, such as the rotation of the Earth and the orbit of the Moon around the Earth. These movements provide a natural and consistent way to measure time. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics, which govern the flow of energy, rely on the concept of time. Finally, our own subjective experience of time passing also supports the existence of time.

2. Is time a human construct or does it exist independently?

This is a philosophical question with no definitive answer. Some argue that time is a human construct, as it is based on our measurements and perceptions. Others argue that time exists independently, as it is a fundamental aspect of the universe and is necessary for the laws of physics to function.

3. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

While we can control our perception of time through things like meditation or altering our daily routine, there is no evidence to suggest that time itself can be manipulated or controlled. Time appears to be a constant force that is not affected by external influences.

4. What is the relationship between time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected and form a four-dimensional fabric called spacetime. This means that time and space cannot exist without each other and are influenced by gravity and the movement of objects in the universe.

5. Is time travel possible?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that time travel is possible. While some theories, such as the concept of wormholes, suggest that time travel could be theoretically possible, it remains a topic of speculation and is not currently achievable with our current understanding of physics.