Do you deserve your high school diploma?

In summary, you scored highly on this quiz, and there is hope for the future if you do not score highly. You may or may not deserve your high school diploma, but you should share your results with your friends so they can test their knowledge. The religion question was dumb, and you would have known it if you had taken Spanish 2. Almost all of your answers were due to either reading it on PF or watching a documentary.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Physics news on Phys.org
85-100% You must be an autodidact, because American high schools don't get scores that high! Good show, old chap!

Thank you for scoring highly on this quiz, there is sweet hope for the future. If you did not score high, please join the Volunteer for Human Extinction Movement. Either way, share your results with your friends so they can take this quiz and test their knowledge!
"Do you deserve your high school diploma?" was created by was created by ?

You paid attention during 89% of high school!

85-100% You must be an autodidact, because American high schools don't get scores that high! Good show, old chap!

To the best of my memory, I paid attention during 0% of high school.

Well... 68%. At least I was paying attention...

I went to college in grade 11. . . now what?

79%. I can't be expected to know about the US, can I?

I got 74%.
Immaculate conception was the conception of Mary? I thought the baby is conceived, not the mother.

I don't know why they had a religious question. I got it right because I remembered a sentence from a movie.

Evo said:
I don't know why they had a religious question. I got it right because I remembered a sentence from a movie.
It's literature, just like the Shakespeare question.

Cubism isn't gone over in my high school unless you took Spanish 2, in which it was referenced on like one page when talking about Picasso. It is a bit obvious though. I laughed at the rubik's cube reference.
The religion question was pretty dumb.
I haven't learned about the Renaissance or grammar since middle school (they were easy questions though).
As far as I know, not many high schools read Othello, Twelth Night, or Antony and Cleopatra.

You paid attention during 89% of high school!

Wow, I guess I do deserve my high school diploma. Not sure I could prove that I deserve my BS though. :-p

leroyjenkens said:
I got 74%.
Immaculate conception was the conception of Mary? I thought the baby is conceived, not the mother.

Yeah, it's weird. What's weirder is that I never learned this in high school. I just happen to know it for some random reason. I have no idea why this was on the test.

I got 100%, in part because of my love of trivia. The religious question was a no-brainer. Get brought up French-Catholic and you'd have had that one drummed into you.

I think I did so badly because I got the first two questions wrong. :sadface:

How does it know my age and gender when I open the link?

DaveC426913 said:
LOL. I think turbo and I got extra points for being old.

Almost every answer I got was due to either reading it on PF or in a tv documentary.

Office_Shredder said:
Because you have taken another poll on the same site.

I got 89%. I don't remember how I knew that the Immaculate Conception referred to Mary, that's just one of those things that I know is a trick question when people ask about it.

I got the cubism and the Shakespeare questions wrong. It took me a second to think about the Columbus one... everyone knows he left in 1492, but when did he arrive? Not so obvious, but then I remembered it takes about 2 months to make the trip and he left around the expulsion of the Jews which was in the summertime. So I guess high school history helped me answer that one

Office_Shredder said:
It took me a second to think about the Columbus one... everyone knows he left in 1492, but when did he arrive? Not so obvious, but then I remembered it takes about 2 months to make the trip and he left around the expulsion of the Jews which was in the summertime. So I guess high school history helped me answer that one
the answer to the columbus one was false, being a trick question.

Columbus's ships arrived in North America in 1492.
false - Columbus never landed in North America.

She conceived, he was conceived. How is that question a reasonable one?

89%

some of these don't seem like high school questions, tho. also, shakespeare should not be taught at all.

Evo said:
the answer to the columbus one was false, being a trick question.

Then I guess I guessed the Shakespeare one correct

I know he didn't land on the mainland continent but seriously, the islands off the coast of North America are part of the continent. It's only a trick question because it's worded wrong. They're even on the North American plate in case someone wants to argue a ridiculous technical definition

Hurray, I'm stupid!

You paid attention during 63% of high school!

51-67% You are smart enough to be ashamed of still scoring so low; remember that there are books in the world, full of information? Yes, books are our friends.

Evo said:
So which continent did he land in, after leaving Europe?

Gokul43201 said:
So which continent did he land in, after leaving Europe?
Apparently no one is sure where he landed. He thought he landed in japan.

Today, Americans celebrate "Columbus Day" on the second Monday in October, to remember the landing of Columbus in the New World on October 12, 1492. In reality, he never set foot in North America. The closest he got was to land on the island of San Salvador, in the Bahamas.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/11/11/1235290.htm

That location is disputed also.

I thought the Carribean was considered part of North America.

Hmmm, I missed the immaculate conception one. I should have known that one since I remember being surprised the first time I heard about that one. Considering the worship of Mary was one of the reasons for split of the curch into Catholicism and Protestantism, I should have remembered that.

I'm not sure what other question I missed. I guess it might be Columbus's arrival in North America. North America tends to have several different definitions. Technically, I'm pretty sure it should include Central America and the associated islands (even though the islands are as close to the South American mainland as the North American mainland in some instances).

BobG said:

Hmmm, I missed the immaculate conception one. I should have known that one since I remember being surprised the first time I heard about that one. Considering the worship of Mary was one of the reasons for split of the curch into Catholicism and Protestantism, I should have remembered that.

I'm not sure what other question I missed. I guess it might be Columbus's arrival in North America. North America tends to have several different definitions. Technically, I'm pretty sure it should include Central America and the associated islands (even though the islands are as close to the South American mainland as the North American mainland in some instances).
I think those are the two every one is missing. I got the Columbus one right because I thought he left in 1492 and landed in 1493. So I was wrong, which was right.

Jimmy Snyder said:
She conceived, he was conceived. How is that question a reasonable one?

No, they're referring to Mary being conceived, not Mary's conception of Jesus. They had extended the idea of Jesus's perfection to the point where he couldn't even be conceived by someone who had been conceived the normal way.

I didn't have a chance of getting this one right since I misread it as the immaculate reception. I couldn't remember the Pittsburgh player's first name, but I was pretty sure he was a guy.

I got all but the Columbus one 'right'. I knew he left mid- or mid-late 1492, so I figured he arrived in the Caribbean in late 1492. I was right, the quiz was questionable.

Office_Shredder said:

If it didn't, how could it grade you on those questions?

I got the Columbus one by reasoning that he never touched the North American soil, only an island in the Caribbean. The immaculate conception concept was a matter of church doctrine. Mary could not have been the mother of God unless she was born without the taint of original sin, thus the "full of grace" line in the Catholic prayer to her.

BobG said:
No, they're referring to Mary being conceived, not Mary's conception of Jesus.
This I did not know. I always thought they were talking about the virgin birth, something different.

turbo-1 said:
I got the Columbus one by reasoning that he never touched the North American soil, only an island in the Caribbean.
Islands in the Caribbean ARE North American soil. C'mon mon!

DaveC426913 said:

What is your age and what gender are you?

Curious ones to make a mistake on :-pYou paid attention during 89% of high school!

Yea, that's weird. The caribbean is definitely north america in my book.

I got an 84%, it says I deserve a high school diploma - but I never got one!

89%

We read Hamlet in AP English, but none of the others.

I also slept through most of high school...

Back