Do You Get Embarrassed Trying to Recall Names?

• Thread starter Hyperspace2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of recalling names of people near you and the embarrassment and difficulty that comes with it. Some suggest tricks to help with memory, while others share their own experiences and struggles with this issue, some even attributing it to a possible inherited trait. Overall, it is a relatable topic as many people seem to have the same problem with remembering names.
Hyperspace2
How often do you get hard to recall the name of person(or friend) who is near you , at school, college or your workplace?
It often happens to me. And it is so embarassing.

Moreover it is much embarassing to ask that particular friend for his name or others to tell his or her name.

Then I keep it myself in my head waiting and thinking to pop the name of that person in my head. And I feel, it goes over my head.

your experience ...please?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's why I always carry my driver's license with me even if I am not driving.

Jimmy Snyder said:
That's why I always carry my driver's license with me even if I am not driving.
Sorry ,but I didn't understand. I was talking about recalling the names of person who is near you.
You seem to be talking about recalling your own name.

Reminds me of

names.png

Anyway, I'm terrible with names. I always forget them...

micromass said:
Reminds me of

names.png

Anyway, I'm terrible with names. I always forget them...

nice cartoon ...

It doesn't happen to me, or at least as far as I recall. It might be because I don't know the name of most people in my class. I know the name of 2 of them in fact. I have only a few more friends so that might explain why I don't forget their name.
And about Jimmy Snyder... lol again. I'm having fun when I read your posts in this forum. That was hilarious.

Hyperspace2 said:
How often do you get hard to recall the name of person(or friend) who is near you , at school, college or your workplace?

Moreover it is much embarassing to ask that particular friend for his name or others to tell his or her name.

Then I keep it myself in my head waiting and thinking to pop the name of that person in my head. And I feel, it goes over my head.

your experience ...please?

I know exactly what your mean. It must be some sort of inherited trait or something because my father had the same problem.

Quick...What's your name? :)

I AM the worst. [URL]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0015.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a trick I learned from my father-in-law, who was in sales and had to remember a lot of people's names. When he was introduced to someone, he would make a point of repeating their name out loud, as in, " This is Rachel,", and you respond, "Hi, Rachel." Just the act of saying their name out loud helps to remember it. Other people have told me that they think up some funny (or dirty) imagery to go with the person's name - for example if the person's name is Phil, you imagine 'fill'-ing their head up with water. These vivid images help a lot in being able to recall their name later.

drizzle said:
I AM the worst. [PLAIN]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0015.gif[/QUOTE]

My ex husband used to get angry with me all the time because I always called him either "Hey", or my brother's name (which rhymed). 10 years, and I still couldn't get it right...

I don't know what kind of advice to give you though. The memory trick directly above my post never helped me. Everyone who knows me knows that I can't remember 5 minutes ago, let alone their name. I think they all just got used to it.

And yes, I think it could be an inherited trait. My mother once went through all 4 siblings before getting to my name. 3 brothers and one sister. I can understand calling me by my sisters name, but my brothers? Really, Mom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ms Music said:
My ex husband used to get angry with me all the time because I always called him either "Hey", or my brother's name (which rhymed). 10 years, and I still couldn't get it right...

I don't know what kind of advice to give you though. The memory trick directly above my post never helped me. Everyone who knows me knows that I can't remember 5 minutes ago, let alone their name. I think they all just got used to it.

And yes, I think it could be an inherited trait. My mother once went through all 4 siblings before getting to my name. 3 brothers and one sister. I can understand calling me by my sisters name, but my brothers? Really, Mom?

Seriously, my mom would do the same - and she'd sometimes get to the dog's name before finding the right one!

But I wonder if it's modeled rather than inherited. I grew up in a house where proper names were rarely used, but instead pet names were the norm. Remembering, or even just using, proper names is something I struggle with, too.

Hyperspace2 said:
I can see where that would be embarrassing.

When I was in my thirties and something like that happened, my sister-in-law would say, "Remember that this happens at this age. Otherwise in twenty years you'll assume it's senility".

Twenty years later, I am very grateful for her observation.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's awful. I've gotten to where I just ask the person their name or use some generic name, like dude, man, etc. It ends up making me sound immature, but I guess that's better than making them think their so unimportant to you that you can't remember their name (which is what most people assume, I presume).

Ms Music said:

Thank god. I'm not alone. I love these forums.

lisab said:
Seriously, my mom would do the same - and she'd sometimes get to the dog's name before finding the right one!

But I wonder if it's modeled rather than inherited. I grew up in a house where proper names were rarely used, but instead pet names were the norm. Remembering, or even just using, proper names is something I struggle with, too.

Nine out of ten time, my mom calls me Brad (my brother). Must be inherited?

I'm bad with names on a regular basis -_- Maybe ppl should start changing their names to Sedna, Neptune, Ceres, Eris or something else I can actually remember :-p

i'm not only bad with names, i have trouble recalling the exact word i want to use.

dlgoff said:
Thank god. I'm not alone. I love these forums.

Nine out of ten time, my mom calls me Brad (my brother). Must be inherited?

I think if your brother calls you Brad, you might have a case that it's inherited.

My nickname is Skip and my friend's brother-in-law's is Chip. When he calls me on the phone, it's about 50:50 that he's going to call me the wrong name at least once.

BTW, I grew up with my friend and have known him well for 40+ years, AND he was married to my sister for a few years.

Proton Soup said:
i'm not only bad with names, i have trouble recalling the exact word i want to use.
This happens to me with prolonged sleep deprivation, or I say the wrong thing even though I am thinking the right thing

I have forgotten people's names before I've finished shaking their hand. (really) :rolleyes:

me too! LOL

HeLiXe said:
This happens to me with prolonged sleep deprivation, or I say the wrong thing even though I am thinking the right thing

any kind of stress can make it worse (cortisol), but blunt emotional trauma seems to be the worst.

i have suffered years of sleep problems in the past, but it's always been an issue. only now i can start blaming it on premature dementia and refer to it as aphasia

Ms Music said:

My mother used to call us by the wrong names and I used to think, 'How can she be so stupid?' Now I have kids of my own, and I do it all the time. I've even called my daughter by the dog's name. Now that's embarrassing!

phyzguy said:
I've even called my daughter by the dog's name. Now that's embarrassing!
It might be complimentary, in a way. I love my dog, and he's very loyal and decent.

phyzguy said:
My mother used to call us by the wrong names and I used to think, 'How can she be so stupid?' Now I have kids of my own, and I do it all the time. I've even called my daughter by the dog's name. Now that's embarrassing!

:smile: How was school today, doggie?

Proton Soup said:
any kind of stress can make it worse (cortisol), but blunt emotional trauma seems to be the worst.

i have suffered years of sleep problems in the past, but it's always been an issue. only now i can start blaming it on premature dementia and refer to it as aphasia

Sorry to read that you have suffered these things Proton Soup, especially blunt emotional trauma...that is really something we can all do without! I am no psychologist but I often consider the effects that blunt emotional trauma have on the physical brain...because some studies have found that under certain conditions the brain physically changes to process our environments, I wonder if the same has been found for emotional trauma...like i know there is some amnesia with ptsd but I wonder how that is due to the physical arrangement of the brain. Anyways that is for another thread I guess...

HeLiXe said:
Sorry to read that you have suffered these things Proton Soup, especially blunt emotional trauma...that is really something we can all do without! I am no psychologist but I often consider the effects that blunt emotional trauma have on the physical brain...because some studies have found that under certain conditions the brain physically changes to process our environments, I wonder if the same has been found for emotional trauma...like i know there is some amnesia with ptsd but I wonder how that is due to the physical arrangement of the brain. Anyways that is for another thread I guess...
I saw a study couple years back that showed physical deformation of the hippocampus in subjects with a known history of prolonged, severe emotional stress. (You might google various combinations of those terms, I'm too lazy.)

zoobyshoe said:
I saw a study couple years back that showed physical deformation of the hippocampus in subjects with a known history of prolonged, severe emotional stress. (You might google various combinations of those terms, I'm too lazy.)

I understand you lol, there are also physical changes in the hippocampus in microgravity and other environments. Thanks for this info Zooby :biggrin:

OHHHH you meant to google combinations of the terms to find the study lol will do!

I forgot the kids names from time to time. No matter, they never came when I called them anyway.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I forgot the kids names from time to time. No matter, they never came when I called them anyway.
LOL
my mom always called me a combination of my sister's name and my name

HeLiXe said:
OHHHH you meant to google combinations of the terms to find the study lol will do!
That's what I'm sayin'. I'm too lazy to hunt the study up, but I'm sure you'll find it if you're interested. It gained some notariety.

I found a lot of great info on this. Thanks again!

Bill Cosby's dad couldn't remember names either. :-p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwYVqMj5i6k

HeLiXe said:
I found a lot of great info on this. Thanks again!
You did? That's incredible! I made the whole thing up!

Just kidding, hehe.