Do you give financial support to environmental groups?

In summary: I might donate to them. In summary, my wife and I support the World Wildlife Fund, the National Wildlife Federation, and the Arbor Day Foundation to try to preserve habitat, fund research and repopulation efforts, and encourage tree-growth. We have a life-time supply of return address labels and little note-pads, though I wish the groups would keep those and put all of our donations toward their causes instead. I know the "freebies" are inexpensive and it would cost the groups more to make exceptions for people who would like to opt out, but it would be nice to opt out of multiple mailings and freebies. Just mail us once a year and collect your check.
turbo
Gold Member
My wife and I support the World Wildlife Fund, the National Wildlife Federation, and the Arbor Day Foundation to try to preserve habitat, fund research and repopulation efforts, and encourage tree-growth. We have a life-time supply of return address labels and little note-pads, though I wish the groups would keep those and put all of our donations toward their causes instead. I know the "freebies" are inexpensive and it would cost the groups more to make exceptions for people who would like to opt out, but it would be nice to opt out of multiple mailings and freebies. Just mail us once a year and collect your check.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have supported Sierra Club, WWF (not the wrestlers), and AMC (of course), along with a few others that come to my door (I have solar panels on my roof--they see that, and their eyes go "ka-CHING"). And yes, I too have more than enough return-address labels.

I have recently made it a principle to determine that a group must be not anti-nuclear before I support them. That means Sierra is out, and WWF is still in

We have given to any number of organizations over the years. But for now, in order to support all environmental causes, all of our donations go to Obama and the Democrats. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
We have given to any number of organizations over the years. But for now, in order to support all environmental causes, all of our donations go to Obama and the Democrats. :biggrin:
There is a lot of stuff that needs funding. Since my wife and I both have respiratory conditions, we also support the American Lung Association, though our largest annual and disaster-related donations (by far) are reserved for the Salvation Army. They do a LOT with little money, unlike many aid organizations. After a particularly large check toward Katrina relief, they started dunning us frequently. I asked them to stop, while assuring them that we will help out with other disasters. After our check for their Haiti fund, we got a nice thank-you from the SA, but no more begging. They are good.

I give to the local animal shelter.

Well, I'm a mere 17. The most I've ever donated was about 200$ to Doctors without Borders during a campaign. I'll probably support WWF when I get older.

I give to the Sierra Club and POST (a local group that buys land and preserves it as open space). But honestly most of my donations go to organizations like Second Harvest.

Evo said:
I give to the local animal shelter.
My wife and I do, too. She has been unable to volunteer time because she is caring for an elderly mother with dementia, but when she sees pet food or cleaning products on sale, she'll often pick some up for the shelter. A while back, she was concerned about possible contamination in the raw materials used to make pet treats (think Melamine in Chinese milk-solids), so she started making all of Duke's treats at home, and I took two large shopping bags full of treats to the shelter.

No.

[....]

TMFKAN64 said:
I give to the Sierra Club and POST (a local group that buys land and preserves it as open space). But honestly most of my donations go to organizations like Second Harvest.
I donate organically-raised seedlings and garlic to the community garden, but that's more a social security net for people in need of good food. Not much money involved - just labor and minimal costs for materials.

My closest biker-buddy has chosen the local women's and children's shelter as his favorite. He and his wife take extra produce to them to help reduce the shelter's food costs.

Heh.. environmental groups. Right about now I think Louisiana seems like a perfect example why they don't work. Just a waste of money to keep Yale types employed at mediocre no-risk management jobs managing volunteers. I say its pathetic.

Case in point:

"The Surfrider Foundation was started in Malibu, California in 1984 by a handful of surfers to protest threats to their local surf break at Malibu Point." God dang hippies

"The Xerces Society is an international non-profit organization that advocates for invertebrates and their habitats by working with scientists, land managers, educators, and citizens on conservation and education projects. Core programs focus on endangered species, native pollinators, and watershed health" Who knew.. invertebrates are endangered species

Hell no!

Local food banks, Habitat for Humanity, World Vision, Partners in Health. No environmental groups.

I am fairly skeptical of the level of return (actual work towards the groups apparent goals) on the money that is donated so I generally do not donate to anything. If I knew some charities that I knew were actually good and did real work with their funds I would donate (when I have money) though I would likely be more inclined to donate to charities for education and literacy.

cronxeh said:
Case in point:
I believe you mean "fallacy in point."

Do you really mean to imply that since
A: there is a non-profit group of surfing "hippies," and
B: Environmental groups did not prevent the rupture of a deep-sea oil well,

therefore: all environmental groups fall into a certain pejorative stereotype.

Environmentalism should not be considered sole property of the "left," and people opposite that persuasion should not need to feel the urge to **** on the environment every chance they get.

Chi Meson said:
I believe you mean "fallacy in point."

Do you really mean to imply that since
A: there is a non-profit group of surfing "hippies," and
B: Environmental groups did not prevent the rupture of a deep-sea oil well,

therefore: all environmental groups fall into a certain pejorative stereotype.

Environmentalism should not be considered sole property of the "left," and people opposite that persuasion should not need to feel the urge to **** on the environment every chance they get.

I mean to imply that they are all useless, contrary to their claim to be of use, I believe they do not accomplish any of the goals they set out to accomplish. Sure some of it is a generalization, but overall I haven't seen the environmentalist succeed on getting through on the major news networks and spreading their message.

Where is Green Peace? I go to their website http://members.greenpeace.org/blog/greenpeaceusa_blog/2010/05/12/volunteer_info_for_gulf_oil_spill click a link on 6 ways to help, and the link is broken!

I, sir, laugh in disgust now and get back on my couch :)

Oh I should add, they are better at being wild life photographers than agents of change

Oh I should add further, I read through their agenda.. http://members.greenpeace.org/action/index.php

and its laughable. I mean I am literally giggling here. Who comes up with these things?

cronxeh said:
I mean to imply that they are all useless, contrary to their claim to be of use, I believe they do not accomplish any of the goals they set out to accomplish. Sure some of it is a generalization, but overall I haven't seen the environmentalist succeed on getting through on the major news networks and spreading their message.

Where is Green Peace? I go to their website http://members.greenpeace.org/blog/greenpeaceusa_blog/2010/05/12/volunteer_info_for_gulf_oil_spill click a link on 6 ways to help, and the link is broken!

I, sir, laugh in disgust now and get back on my couch :)

Oh I should add, they are better at being wild life photographers than agents of change

I too laugh in disgust. Let's not waste any more time talking to each other, agreed?

Chi Meson said:
I too laugh in disgust. Let's not waste any more time talking to each other, agreed?

Oh your heart bleeds, eh? Did you write your Congressman or do some duck cleaning lately?

No ..

To start with, I volunteered for 10 hours per week at a local nature center over 17 years. I recently told a Greenpeace solicitor this, and ignoring what I said, he insisted to cadge me for money.

There are so many better things to donate money to then environmental groups.

cronxeh said:
Oh your heart bleeds, eh? Did you write your Congressman or do some duck cleaning lately?

Please don't try to divine my intentions and positions. I'm pretty far from "bleeding heart." I see no reason to jump to insults when faced with disagreements.

Chi Meson said:
WWF (not the wrestlers)

Not the wrestlers? Ooops.

Vanadium 50 said:
Not the wrestlers? Ooops.
The "wrestlers" have their own supporters, though I doubt there is any overlap with the people that support environmental issues. :devil:

brushman said:
There are so many better things to donate money to then environmental groups.
Perhaps not. When I get an appeal for donations, I read the literature and then hit the 'web to see if their claims are supportable. If they claim to have set aside 5000 acres of some rare habitat for instance, I want to verify it. There is no point in supporting a group that doesn't produce, or that has some goals that are antithetical to my own.

We all need clean air, clean water, and biological diversity. It's a very broad area, with lots of overlaps, so pick something that has the best bang for the buck and start there. Trees are very good at removing carbon dioxide and generating oxygen, and they stabilize soils to the benefit of our watersheds, plus they are a renewable supply of lumber, pulp-wood, etc. For these reasons, it seems a good idea to promote reforestation efforts. Such investments are long-term, unlike donating to a soup kitchen or a shelter, and they help sustain jobs for the future.

cronxeh said:
Heh.. environmental groups. Right about now I think Louisiana seems like a perfect example why they don't work. Just a waste of money to keep Yale types employed at mediocre no-risk management jobs managing volunteers. I say its pathetic.

Case in point:

"The Surfrider Foundation was started in Malibu, California in 1984 by a handful of surfers to protest threats to their local surf break at Malibu Point." God dang hippies

"The Xerces Society is an international non-profit organization that advocates for invertebrates and their habitats by working with scientists, land managers, educators, and citizens on conservation and education projects. Core programs focus on endangered species, native pollinators, and watershed health" Who knew.. invertebrates are endangered species
Too true! I used to support science, until the Schön affair went down at Bell Labs, and I realized the whole thing was just a big scam. :rolleyes:

The only "environmental" organization that I actively support (by volunteering time, I have no money) is the Appalachian Mountain Club.

Gokul43201 said:
The only "environmental" organization that I actively support (by volunteering time, I have no money) is the Appalachian Mountain Club.

Right on, me too! (except I do the money thing, I have no time).

turbo-1 said:
Perhaps not. When I get an appeal for donations, I read the literature and then hit the 'web to see if their claims are supportable. If they claim to have set aside 5000 acres of some rare habitat for instance, I want to verify it. There is no point in supporting a group that doesn't produce, or that has some goals that are antithetical to my own.

We all need clean air, clean water, and biological diversity. It's a very broad area, with lots of overlaps, so pick something that has the best bang for the buck and start there. Trees are very good at removing carbon dioxide and generating oxygen, and they stabilize soils to the benefit of our watersheds, plus they are a renewable supply of lumber, pulp-wood, etc. For these reasons, it seems a good idea to promote reforestation efforts. Such investments are long-term, unlike donating to a soup kitchen or a shelter, and they help sustain jobs for the future.

Unless an environmental hazard is significantly negatively affecting human lives (like clean water), then a donation to, for example, children in Africa would be far more beneficial.

brushman said:
Unless an environmental hazard is significantly negatively affecting human lives (like clean water), then a donation to, for example, children in Africa would be far more beneficial.
While that might be true, aid distribution in much of Africa is notoriously corrupt, so supplies and food may be diverted from the needy for the benefit of insurgents and militia groups that are making them needy in the first place. Plus, the aid distribution often must be coordinated by a large international organization with some UN military back-up for the security of the workers and the protection of citizens at aid-distribution centers. NGOs do not fare as well there.

I want to evaluate and choose my causes sensibly. I don't support the Nature Conservancy, for example, because of some problematic actions they have taken, and because of some too-cozy relationships with energy companies and other entities (especially in the west) that have vested interests in maintaining the status quo. They are a powerhouse, anyway, and don't need my money as much as some organizations. NWF and WWF have a built-in draw for some segment of the population because of their focus on animals, but many people don't see the value in supporting an organization that focuses on re-forestation and sustainable wood harvesting, despite the overall good such a group can do for our environment and our economy.

No, I do not give any financial support to environmental groups. Not that I know much either. To me Greenpeace is a joke. It says it wants to prevent a climate change (as if it is good if the climate of the Earth becomes suddenly "static" so that humans can still live. The Earth passed by lots of climate changes and humans could even start to exist... so what's the problem with a drastic climate change? It wouldn't close the doors to new species.), save animals from extinction (More than 98% of all the species that ever existed on this Earth are already extinct, and no, the human didn't do it all. Why would we want to go against "nature" by "saving" some cute species?). On their website they refer to many anthropocentric ideas. It's clear to me that their goal is to enlarge the lifespan of humans by somehow "freezing in time" the Earth as it is now. I personally dislike very much a non-governmental organization that doesn't state their goals in the first place and in fact lies.
For an interesting point of view about all of this, I suggest you to have some fun watching .
Some references of some claims I made: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_events, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change and http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
The "wrestlers" have their own supporters, though I doubt there is any overlap with the people that support environmental issues. :devil:
You missed the part where Hulk Hogan suplexed global warming?

I do not give to charity. Uncle Sam already takes enough of my money as it is.

This summer, I planted some trees on public property with a group of local volunteers.

However, I do not understand why people would want to donate to an environmental group. Your money would either go to lobbying and/or public relations.

Donations should be more humanitarian. It would be better spent that way.