Do you know any books with solved problems on variations?

• Calculus
  • Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a practical book on the Calculus of Variations. The person asking for recommendations mentions a book by Krasnov and expresses a desire for something similar to Schaum's series. Another person suggests checking out problem books in mathematics by Springer, while the original poster mentions that they did not know about those series and will look into them. The conversation ends with the recommendation of two books with good sections on worked examples.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

There are plenty of books with theory, but to practice I only found one book by Krasnov. I am looking something like Schaums series for the Calculus of Variations. Do you know if something like that exists?

I want to practice, seting up the problem (the integral), getting the differential equations, solving them, analyzing when it is a min or a max, or if it exists etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check out problem books in mathematics by springer? There's a load of titles available.

Guy Madison said:
Did you check out problem books in mathematics by springer? There's a load of titles available.

I didn't know those series, thanks for that.

I had a look and apparently there is no specific volume for Variational Calculus, there are some on analysis that may contain a chapter maybe.

Related to Do you know any books with solved problems on variations?

1. What is a variation problem?

A variation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the relationship between two or more variables, and how they change in relation to each other. These problems typically involve finding an equation or formula to represent the relationship between the variables.

2. Why are books with solved problems on variations useful?

Books with solved problems on variations are useful because they provide examples of different types of variation problems and how to solve them. This can help readers understand the concepts better and improve their problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any specific books that focus on variations?

Yes, there are several books that specifically focus on variations, such as "Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Differential and Integral Calculus" by Frank Ayres Jr. and "Variations, Differential Equations, and Dynamical Systems" by Boris Hasselblatt and Anatole Katok.

4. Can books with solved problems on variations be used for self-study?

Yes, books with solved problems on variations can be used for self-study. They often include step-by-step solutions and explanations, making them a valuable resource for individuals looking to improve their understanding and skills in solving variation problems.

5. Are there any online resources for variations with solved problems?

Yes, there are many online resources for variations with solved problems, such as math problem-solving websites, video tutorials, and downloadable worksheets. Some examples include Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and Math Goodies.