Do zeros of meromorphic functions have a limit point?

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary: Suppose f has uncountably many zeros and divide the complex plane into squares of with edges lengths of 1 centered at a + bi where a,b\in\mathbb{Z}. By the Pigeon Hole Principle, one of these squares contains uncountably many zeros. Now that we have infinitely many zeros in a bounded set, we have a limit point. By Liouville's Theorem, f must be constant. Therefore, f has at most countably many zeros.
Dustinsfl
Let [itex]f[/itex] be a nonzero meromorphic function on the complex plane. Prove that [itex]f[/itex] has at most a countable number of zeros.

Since [itex]f[/itex] is meromorphic on [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] is holomorphic on [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] except for some isolated singularities which are poles. Aslo, [itex]f[/itex] being meromorphic we can write [itex]f[/itex] as [itex]g(z)/h(z)[/itex] both holomorphic with [itex]h\neq 0[/itex].

Now does multiplying through help lead to the conclusion?

So we would have [itex]fh = g[/itex]. If so, I am not sure with what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about using the identity theorem?? If two holomorphic functions agree on a set with a limit point, then they are equal.

micromass said:
What about using the identity theorem?? If two holomorphic functions agree on a set with a limit point, then they are equal.

I understand what you are saying but not sure on how to apply it. Should I start over?

Dustinsfl said:
I understand what you are saying but not sure on how to apply it. Should I start over?

Divide the complex plane up into squares. If there were an uncountable number of zeros then one of the squares must contain an infinite number of zeros. Can you prove that?

Dick said:
Divide the complex plane up into squares. If there were an uncountable number of zeros then one of the squares must contain an infinite number of zeros. Can you prove that?

I could probably use the Pigeon Hole Principle to show that but how would that help?

Dustinsfl said:
I could probably use the Pigeon Hole Principle to show that but how would that help?

Then use micromass's suggestion. Can you show the zeros must have a limit point?

Dick said:
Then use micromass's suggestion. Can you show the zeros must have a limit point?

Suppose [itex]f[/itex] has uncountably many zeros and divide the complex plane into squares of with edges lengths of 1 centered at [itex]a + bi[/itex] where [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]. By the Pigeon Hole Principle, one of these squares contains uncountably many zeros. Now that we have infinitely many zeros in a bounded set, we have a limit point. By Liouville's Theorem, [itex]f[/itex] must be constant. Therefore, [itex]f[/itex] has at most countably many zeros.

Last edited:

FAQ: Do zeros of meromorphic functions have a limit point?

What is a countable number of zeros?

A countable number of zeros refers to a finite or infinite sequence of zeros that can be counted or enumerated. It can also refer to the number of zeros that appear in a specific mathematical expression or equation.

How are countable numbers of zeros used in mathematics?

Countable numbers of zeros are used in various mathematical concepts, such as place value, scientific notation, and significant figures. They are also used to represent numbers in different bases, such as binary or hexadecimal systems.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite countable number of zeros?

A finite countable number of zeros refers to a specific and limited number of zeros, while an infinite countable number of zeros refers to an unending sequence of zeros. In other words, a finite countable number of zeros has a definite endpoint, while an infinite countable number of zeros does not.

Can a number have an infinite countable number of zeros?

Yes, a number can have an infinite countable number of zeros. An example of this is the number 0.333... which has an infinite countable number of zeros after the decimal point.

How are countable numbers of zeros used in real-world applications?

Countable numbers of zeros are used in various real-world applications, such as in the fields of physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to represent precise measurements and calculations, as well as to express very large or very small numbers in a more convenient way.