Dodelson Cosmology 4.8 Temperature of Nonrelativistic Matter

In summary, the temperature of non-relativistic matter scales as ##a^{-2}## in the absence of interactions. This can be shown by starting from the zero-order part of Eq. (4.68) and assuming a form ##f_{dm} \propto e^{-E/T}=e^{-p^2/2mT}##, and taking derivatives of ##f_{dm}## with respect to time and space. By considering the dependence of T on time and using the fact that the temperature scales as ##a^{-2}##, we can show that the equation simplifies to ##T\frac{\dot{a}}{a}=\frac{\dot{a}}{a^3}\rightarrow T
StuckPhysicsStudent

Homework Statement

Show that the temperature of non-relativistic matter scales as ##a^{-2}## in the absence of interactions. Start from the zero-order part of Eq. (4.68) and assume a form ##f_{dm} \propto e^{-E/T}=e^{-p^2/2mT}##. Note that his argument does not apply to electrons and protons: as long as they are couple to the photons, their temperature scales as ##a^{-1}##.

Homework Equations

Eq. (4.68)
$$\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial t}+\frac{\hat p^i}{a}\frac{p}{E}\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial x^i}-\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial E} \bigg[ \frac{da/dt}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}+\frac{p^2}{E}\frac {\partial \Phi} {\partial t}+\frac{\hat p^i p}{a}\frac {\partial \Psi} {\partial x^i} \bigg]=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I will use overdots to represent partial derivative with respect to time and primes for derivatives with respect to ##x^i##. I'm assuming since ##e^{-E/T}=e^{-p^2/2mT}## that ##E=p^2/2m## and that p is a function of both ##x^i## and ##t##.

Since this is first order I ignore the terms with ##\Phi## and ##\Psi## because they are perturbations to the metric. So 4.68 is just

$$\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial t}+\frac{\hat p^i}{a}\frac{p}{E}\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial x^i}-\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial E} \bigg[ \frac{da/dt}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}\bigg]=0$$

So taking the derivatives of ##f_{dm}## and just sticking with ##e^{-E/T}## for now, we have

$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}} {\partial t}=-\frac{\dot{E}}{T} e^{-E/T}$$
$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}} {\partial x^i}=-\frac{E'}{T} e^{-E/T}$$
$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}} {\partial E}=-\frac{1}{T}e^{-E/T}$$

where all the ##-\frac{1}{T}e^{-E/T}## go away and I am left with no term for temperature. So I messed up somewhere because I need a T to remain.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
StuckPhysicsStudent said:

Homework Statement

Show that the temperature of non-relativistic matter scales as ##a^{-2}## in the absence of interactions. Start from the zero-order part of Eq. (4.68) and assume a form ##f_{dm} \propto e^{-E/T}=e^{-p^2/2mT}##. Note that his argument does not apply to electrons and protons: as long as they are couple to the photons, their temperature scales as ##a^{-1}##.

Homework Equations

Eq. (4.68)
$$\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial t}+\frac{\hat p^i}{a}\frac{p}{E}\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial x^i}-\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial E} \bigg[ \frac{da/dt}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}+\frac{p^2}{E}\frac {\partial \Phi} {\partial t}+\frac{\hat p^i p}{a}\frac {\partial \Psi} {\partial x^i} \bigg]=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So I will use overdots to represent partial derivative with respect to time and primes for derivatives with respect to ##x^i##. I'm assuming since ##e^{-E/T}=e^{-p^2/2mT}## that ##E=p^2/2m## and that p is a function of both ##x^i## and ##t##.

Since this is first order I ignore the terms with ##\Phi## and ##\Psi## because they are perturbations to the metric. So 4.68 is just

$$\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial t}+\frac{\hat p^i}{a}\frac{p}{E}\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial x^i}-\frac {\partial f_{dm}} {\partial E} \bigg[ \frac{da/dt}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}\bigg]=0$$

So taking the derivatives of ##f_{dm}## and just sticking with ##e^{-E/T}## for now, we have

$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}} {\partial t}=-\frac{\dot{E}}{T} e^{-E/T}$$
$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}} {\partial x^i}=-\frac{E'}{T} e^{-E/T}$$
$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}} {\partial E}=-\frac{1}{T}e^{-E/T}$$

where all the ##-\frac{1}{T}e^{-E/T}## go away and I am left with no term for temperature. So I messed up somewhere because I need a T to remain.

Thanks for the help in advance.
You are assuming that T does not depend on time or on space. Why?

nrqed said:
You are assuming that T does not depend on time or on space. Why?

Well, it must depend on time since it is dependent on a. I am unsure exactly how it would depend on space, but regardless if I assume T does depend on both I get

$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}}{\partial t}=-\frac{\dot{E}T-\dot{T}E}{T^2}e^{-E/T}$$
$$\frac{\partial f_{dm}}{\partial x^i}=-\frac{E'T-T'E}{T^2}e^{-E/T}$$

So that the equation becomes

$$0=-\frac{\dot{E}T-\dot{T}E}{T^2}e^{-E/T}-\frac{E'T-T'E}{T^2}e^{-E/T}\frac{p\hat{p^i}}{aE}+\frac{1}{T}e^{-E/T}\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}$$

Then dividing through by ##e^{-E/T}## and multipling by ##T^2## we get

$$0=-(\dot{E}T-\dot{T}E)-(E'T-T'E)\frac{p\hat{p^i}}{aE}+T\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}$$
$$=-\dot{E}T+\dot{T}E-E'T+T'E\frac{p\hat{p^i}}{aE}+T\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}$$
$$=T(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\frac{p^2}{E}-\dot{E}-E') +E(\dot{T}+T'\frac{p\hat{p^i}}{aE})$$

Then using ##E=p^2/2m##, ##\dot{E}=2p\dot{p}/2m=p\dot{p}/m##, and ##E'=2pp'/2m=pp'/m##

$$0=T(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}2m-\frac{p\dot{p}}{m}-\frac{pp'}{m}) +\frac{p^2}{2m}(\dot{T}+T'\frac{2m\hat{p^i}}{ap})$$

Now this is where I feel comfortable so far, the following I don't feel like it's right but I am going to post it anyways.

While I still not sure on the space dependence of T I am going to assume that it really doesn't matter for the following because it's a(t) not a(x,t) so we get

$$0=T(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}2m-\frac{p\dot{p}}{m}-\frac{pp'}{m}) +\frac{p^2}{2m}(\dot{T})$$

$$T(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}2m-\frac{p\dot{p}}{m}-\frac{pp'}{m}) =-\frac{p^2}{2m}\dot{T}$$

and using the knowledge (which we are suppose to be finding in the first place) that ##T\propto a^{-2}## so that ##\dot{T}=-2\dot{a}/a^3## so the above goes to

$$T(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}2m-\frac{p\dot{p}}{m}-\frac{pp'}{m}) =\frac{\dot{a}p^2}{a^3 m}$$

And then just ignoring everything beside T, a, and ##\dot{a}##

$$T\frac{\dot{a}}{a}=\frac{\dot{a}}{a^3}\rightarrow T=a^{-2}$$

Which I don't think is the right method because I just set ##-\frac{p\dot{p}}{m}-\frac{pp'}{m}=0## and ##2m=1## (which I guess could work if ##p\dot{p}## and ##pp'## both equal zero, but I doubt that's the case).Thanks for the help so far, the time dependence was quite obvious once you pointed it out.

Related to Dodelson Cosmology 4.8 Temperature of Nonrelativistic Matter

1. What is Dodelson Cosmology 4.8?

Dodelson Cosmology 4.8 is a theoretical framework used to study the evolution of the universe and the distribution of matter and energy within it. It is based on the principles of general relativity and is used to explain the large-scale structure of the universe.

2. What does the term "temperature of nonrelativistic matter" refer to in Dodelson Cosmology 4.8?

The temperature of nonrelativistic matter refers to the average kinetic energy of particles that are not moving at speeds close to the speed of light. In Dodelson Cosmology 4.8, this temperature is used to describe the state of matter in the early universe.

3. How is the temperature of nonrelativistic matter calculated in Dodelson Cosmology 4.8?

The temperature of nonrelativistic matter is calculated using the standard formula for temperature, which relates the average kinetic energy of particles to their mass and the Boltzmann constant. In Dodelson Cosmology 4.8, this calculation is used to estimate the temperature of matter in the early universe.

4. Why is the temperature of nonrelativistic matter important in Dodelson Cosmology 4.8?

The temperature of nonrelativistic matter is important in Dodelson Cosmology 4.8 because it helps to determine the state of matter in the early universe and how it evolved over time. It also helps to explain the formation of large-scale structures such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

5. How does the temperature of nonrelativistic matter affect the expansion of the universe in Dodelson Cosmology 4.8?

The temperature of nonrelativistic matter has a significant effect on the expansion of the universe in Dodelson Cosmology 4.8. As the universe expands, the temperature of matter decreases, and this has an impact on the formation and evolution of structures in the universe. It also affects the overall energy density of the universe, which is a key factor in determining the rate of expansion.