Does a barrel explode if it's filled with water?

• Thread starter titaniumpen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, pressure is the pressure exerted by an object due to its weight, density, and height. The atmospheric pressure is the pressure exerted by the atmosphere. The pressure difference between the two pressures is 91,500 N/m^2.
titaniumpen
Pressure = density * gravity * height

I'm wondering what will happen if you fill a barrel completely with water and leave absolutely no air in it. Let's say the barrel is 1 meter tall. So the pressure from the water inside would be 1000*9.8*1 = 9800 N/m^2

But the atmospheric pressure would be 101,300 N/m^2

Difference between the two pressures would be 91,500 N/m^2.

Wouldn't that cause the barrel to collapse (implode)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure I got something wrong here. I don't see water bottles exploding...

My guess is that water is not easily compressible, so it holds the barrel.

Not easily compressible, but easily pressurize-able. (probably not a word, but it should be)

See, if you fill the water bottle while in the atmosphere, the weight of the water isn't the only pressure in action. You're filling the bottle against air pressure, so the water in the bottle is already compressed and pressurized before you close the top.

If you fill the bottle in a vacuum (problematic due to the water boiling, but bear with me...) and transfer it to the atmosphere, atmospheric pressure will compress it, pressurizing the water. The final volume in the second case will be slightly less than in the first case.

russ_watters said:
Not easily compressible, but easily pressurize-able. (probably not a word, but it should be)

See, if you fill the water bottle while in the atmosphere, the weight of the water isn't the only pressure in action. You're filling the bottle against air pressure, so the water in the bottle is already compressed and pressurized before you close the top.

If you fill the bottle in a vacuum (problematic due to the water boiling, but bear with me...) and transfer it to the atmosphere, atmospheric pressure will compress it, pressurizing the water. The final volume in the second case will be slightly less than in the first case.

Thank you, I now understand. :D

FAQ: Does a barrel explode if it's filled with water?

1. Does filling a barrel with water increase the risk of explosion?

No, filling a barrel with water does not increase the risk of explosion. In fact, water has a cooling effect and can help prevent explosions in certain situations.

2. Can a barrel explode if it's completely filled with water?

No, a barrel cannot explode if it's completely filled with water. Explosions require a combination of oxygen, fuel, and an ignition source, which are not present in a barrel filled with water.

3. Are there any circumstances where a barrel filled with water can explode?

Yes, there are certain circumstances where a barrel filled with water can explode. For example, if the barrel is exposed to extreme heat or pressure, the water inside can turn into steam and cause an explosion.

4. Can adding other substances to a barrel filled with water make it more likely to explode?

Yes, adding other substances to a barrel filled with water can potentially increase the risk of explosion. For example, if the added substance is flammable or reactive, it can create a dangerous mixture with the water inside.

5. Is there a safe way to fill a barrel with water to prevent explosions?

Yes, there are several safety measures that can be taken when filling a barrel with water to prevent explosions. These include ensuring the barrel is properly sealed and vented, monitoring the temperature and pressure, and avoiding adding any potentially hazardous substances to the water inside.