Does a Countable Dense Subset Imply a Cardinality Limit?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary: A|## elements in it. Next, let's say that there exists a function f:P->Asuch that x<f<y for any x and y in A. Clearly, f is a linear ordering on P, so all elements of P can be compared using this ordering. Now, the question is: what does this function imply about the relationship between x and y in A? Well, it implies that for any x and y in A, x<f<y. In other words, x and y can be compared using the linear ordering on P. Finally, since A is dense, we can find an element f such that x<f<y for any x
cragar

Homework Statement

If a linear ordered set P has a countable dense subset, then
[itex] |P| \leq 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

because it has a linear order then all elements of P can be compared x<y .
And because it is dense that mean that I can find an element f
such that x<f<y for any x or y.
so we can partition this set into countable many pieces.
now either their are countably many elements between
any two elements. And the union of countably many things
with a countable number of objects is countable.
Or their are an uncountable number of things in between
any of the 2 dense elements, but this union would
be [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] if anything larger was in between
then the cardinality would not work.
This is a little informal, just want to know if this is on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

If a linear ordered set P has a countable dense subset, then
[itex] |P| \leq 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

because it has a linear order then all elements of P can be compared x<y .
And because it is dense that mean that I can find an element f
such that x<f<y for any x or y.
so we can partition this set into countable many pieces.

How will you define this partition??

Can i just take an arbitrary partition will some element w.
And because the set is linear ordered, their will be either 0 elements to the left or
at most [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] to the left or right. I guess I am assuming that.
does this look ok? I am thinking of using something like if I have a countable dense
subset on an interval I can only have [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] limit points.
all thought I will probably need to prove that.

I don't really get it. Can you write it out more formally?

I guess I am going to pick a random element from the set call it x.
now I have partitioned the set into 2 sub sets.
I call them E and U. E is everything less than or equal to x and U is everything greater than x. Now either there is 0 elements in E or countable or 2^N,
and U must either have finite, countable or 2^N.
I was going to assume one of the partions have more than 2^N elements
and then say this was a contradiction. But I don't think that really proves it and I havn't
used the fact that the set has a countable dense subset.
I am not really sure what to do next.
Maybe I could assume there were more than 2^N elements
in between and 2 of my countable elements and then someohow get a contradiction by showing that
I couldn't embed a countable subset into a set with more than 2^N elements.

cragar said:
if I have a countable dense
subset I can only have [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] limit points.
all thought I will probably need to prove that.

This is the direction you want to head in. Also, make sure to look up (or recall) the definition of the cardinal ##2^{\aleph_0}##. You wouldn't want to try to prove something that's true by definition.

so [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] is the set of all possible combinations of the natural numbers. I still dojnt really know how to prove what I want.
I guess beacuse we have a countable dense subsets between any 2 of our
countable elements that their exists at most [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex]
limits points and there are only a countable many partitions in out set.

cragar said:
so [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex] is the set of all possible combinations of the natural numbers.

Yes. I would characterize ##2^{\aleph_0}## as the cardinality of the power set of the natural numbers (or, for that matter, any set of cardinality ##\aleph_0##). In general, ##2^{|X|}## is the cardinality of the power set of ##X##.

I still dojnt really know how to prove what I want.
I guess beacuse we have a countable dense subsets between any 2 of our
countable elements that their exists at most [itex] 2^{\aleph_0} [/itex]
limits points and there are only a countable many partitions in out set.

You have some good ideas (mixed in with some not-as-good ones), so let's try to get them organized. First let's give names to the pertinent sets to make things easier to read and write; let ##P## be the linearly ordered set and ##A## be the countable subset of ##P## which is dense in ##P##, and let ##\bar{A}## be the set of limit points of ##A##.

1) Forget about dense part for the moment. Can you show that ##|\bar{A}|\leq2^{\aleph_0}## using only the definition of limit point, the fact that ##|A|=\aleph_0##, and our definition for ##2^{\aleph_0}##? So your proof here should really depend only on the cardinality of ##A## and not at all on its relationship to the ambient space ##P##.

2) Now for the dense part ... Can you show that ##P=\bar{A}## using the definition of dense?

Out of curiosity, what definitions for limit point and dense are you using? Part 2 could potentially end up being very easy.

Last edited:

Related to Does a Countable Dense Subset Imply a Cardinality Limit?

1. What is a linear ordered dense subset?

A linear ordered dense subset is a subset of a linearly ordered set where every element in the subset is between any two elements in the original set.

2. How is a linear ordered dense subset different from a regular subset?

A linear ordered dense subset must also maintain the order of the original set, whereas a regular subset does not have to follow a specific order.

3. What is an example of a linear ordered dense subset?

An example of a linear ordered dense subset is the set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1, which is a subset of the real numbers.

4. How is a linear ordered dense subset useful in mathematics?

A linear ordered dense subset is useful in proving the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as limits and sequences. It also helps to establish connections between different mathematical concepts.

5. Can a linear ordered dense subset be infinite?

Yes, a linear ordered dense subset can be infinite. In fact, many commonly used dense subsets, such as the rational numbers or the real numbers, are infinite.

Back