Does a flame-heated red-hot metal emit electrons?

In summary: Yes, this is possible. In fact, it's called an "electrostatic air tube" or something like that.Yes, this is possible. In fact, it's called an "electrostatic air tube" or something like that.
sv3ora
Hello this is my first post in this forum.
I would like to ask something relatively simple and I need a simple answer please, since I am not a physics expert.
Does a metal that has been red-hot heated using a flame, emit electrons? (like the electrically heated cathode of a vacuum tube does)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

have a look at this wiki link on thermionic emission

if that doesn't help, try typing thermionic emission into google as I did, there are many, many links of interest

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

have a look at this wiki link on thermionic emission

if that doesn't help, try typing thermionic emission into google as I did, there are many, many links of interest

cheers
Dave

So a heated metal does emit electrons. Thanks a lot Dave!

sv3ora said:
So a heated metal does emit electrons. Thanks a lot Dave!

However, it isn't quite so simple.
As the Thermionic electrons in a vacuum tube leave the cathode, it becomes positively charged. this limits the total number that will be lost before there are as many being re-attracted to the cathode as are leaving it (so called space charge around the cathode). If the rod is in air and not a vacuum, those electrons will be rapidly slowed down (collisions with air molecules) and will soon recombine with the rod again. The space charge will be restricted to a region very close to the hot rod.
If a vacuum tube is driven correctly, the thermionic electrons will be attracted to an Anode (+) electrode and a current will flow rather than a space charge being formed.

sophiecentaur said:
However, it isn't quite so simple.
As the Thermionic electrons in a vacuum tube leave the cathode, it becomes positively charged. this limits the total number that will be lost before there are as many being re-attracted to the cathode as are leaving it (so called space charge around the cathode). If the rod is in air and not a vacuum, those electrons will be rapidly slowed down (collisions with air molecules) and will soon recombine with the rod again. The space charge will be restricted to a region very close to the hot rod.
If a vacuum tube is driven correctly, the thermionic electrons will be attracted to an Anode (+) electrode and a current will flow rather than a space charge being formed.

Thank you, this makes sense.
However, if a flame is allowed to burn the cathode electrode and at the same time placed between the hot cathode and an anode, then the flame conductivity should allow electrons to pass through it to the anode, eventhough no vacuum is used. Effectively, it should be possible to build an open-air vlame diode this way.

Reading at your reply, I was wondering, what if one could place the anode very close to the cathode, so that the space charge electrons can flow to the anode without the use of vacuum?

Another thought is that, what if one could use higher potential between the cathode and the anode, so that no cathode heating is needed at all? If this works, it could be called an "electrostatic air tube" or something like that.

I think that's what most of us would call a "spark". Lol

Related to Does a flame-heated red-hot metal emit electrons?

1. What is the process of emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal?

The process of emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal is called thermionic emission. This occurs when the metal is heated to a high temperature, causing its electrons to gain enough energy to overcome the metal's work function and escape from its surface.

2. What factors affect the emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal?

The emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal can be affected by several factors, including the temperature of the metal, the type of metal, the presence of impurities on the surface, and the strength of the electric field surrounding the metal.

3. Does a higher temperature result in greater emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal?

Yes, a higher temperature can result in a greater emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal. This is because the higher temperature provides more energy to the electrons, allowing them to overcome the metal's work function more easily and escape from the surface.

4. Can a flame-heated red-hot metal emit electrons without being in contact with another metal or a vacuum?

Yes, a flame-heated red-hot metal can emit electrons without being in contact with another metal or a vacuum. This is known as field emission, where the presence of a strong electric field near the metal's surface can cause electrons to tunnel through the surface and be emitted.

5. How is the emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal used in scientific research and technology?

The emission of electrons from a flame-heated red-hot metal has several important applications in scientific research and technology. It is used in electron microscopy to produce images of extremely small objects, in thermionic power generation to convert heat energy into electrical energy, and in vacuum tubes for amplification and control of electric currents.