Does a Nullspace Spanned by the Zero Vector Indicate Its Dimension Is Zero?

In summary, the nullspace of a matrix being spanned by the 0 vector means that the dimension of the nullspace is 0. In the given problems, both matrices A and B reduced to the identity matrix, indicating that the dimension of their nullspaces is 0. This also means that the dimensions of their column spaces are 3. Additionally, if the nullspace of a matrix is one-dimensional, then the range will be a two-dimensional subspace of R3.
charlies1902
I am a little confused about dimensions, if the nullspace of a matrix is spanned by the 0 vector, does that mean the dimension of the nullspace of this matrix is 0?

In the problems I attached, both A and B reduced to the identity matrix.
Note (2) is supposed to be dim(N(B)) and dim(col(B)) instead of dim(N(A)) and dim(col(A)).

Since they both reduce to I, that means a pivot is in every column, which means that the dimension of N(A) and N(B) is 0 right?

Consequently, this means dim(Col(A)) and dim(col(B)) is 3 right?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
I am a little confused about dimensions, if the nullspace of a matrix is spanned by the 0 vector, does that mean the dimension of the nullspace of this matrix is 0?
Yes.
charlies1902 said:
In the problems I attached, both A and B reduced to the identity matrix.
Note (2) is supposed to be dim(N(B)) and dim(col(B)) instead of dim(N(A)) and dim(col(A)).

Since they both reduce to I, that means a pivot is in every column, which means that the dimension of N(A) and N(B) is 0 right?
Right.
charlies1902 said:
Consequently, this means dim(Col(A)) and dim(col(B)) is 3 right?

Yes.

Let's look at this situation from the perspective of transformations. Your matrices are 3 X 3, meaning that they represent transformations from R3 to R3 (or possibly a lower dimension subspace of R3). Since both matrices reduce to I3, both matrices map a nonzero vector in R3 to some other nonzero vector. The only vector mapped to <0, 0, 0> is the zero vector itself. Another way to say this is N(A) = N(B) = {0}.

If it had turned out that the nullspace for one of the matrices was one-dimensional, then some vectors in R3 are getting mapped to 0. For this matrix, the range would be a two-dimensional subspace of R3. In other words, a plane embedded in space. An example of this is T(<x, y, z>) = <x, y, 0>. This transformation projects a vector v down to the x-y plane.

Last edited:

Related to Does a Nullspace Spanned by the Zero Vector Indicate Its Dimension Is Zero?

1. What are dimensions and why are they important in science?

Dimensions are the measurable aspects of an object or system, such as length, width, and height. They are important in science because they allow us to quantify and describe the physical world, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

2. How many dimensions are there?

In our everyday experience, we interact with three dimensions: length, width, and height. However, in theoretical physics, there are many more dimensions proposed, such as time and additional spatial dimensions.

3. What is the difference between 2D and 3D?

2D refers to a flat, two-dimensional surface, while 3D refers to a three-dimensional object or space that has length, width, and height. 2D objects have only two dimensions, while 3D objects have three dimensions.

4. How do scientists study higher dimensions?

Scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as string theory and M-theory, to study higher dimensions. These theories propose the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three we experience in our everyday lives.

5. Can humans perceive or experience higher dimensions?

No, humans can only perceive and experience three dimensions. Our brains are not wired to comprehend higher dimensions, but we can use mathematics and scientific models to understand and study them.

Back