Does a Spinning Top Exhibit Bobbing Motion?

• Thread starter sclatters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classical
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a spinning top and how to express the moment of inertia in terms of the given variables. It is determined that the subsequent motion of the top will be an anti-clockwise circle around the origin, and the angular velocity of precession is the angular frequency. The moment of inertia is calculated using the parallel axis theorem, and it is determined that it is equal to (ma^2)/2 when the top is spinning like a CD.
sclatters

Homework Statement

http://i42.tinypic.com/20adicz.jpg

Homework Equations

torque=rxF
angular precession velocity=Δtheta/Δt
assume that Δtheta=ΔL/Lsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can conclude that the subsequent motion of the top will be an anti-clockwise circle about the origin but would there be a bobbing motion? My answer for part a) just shows the spinning top making this circle. Do you think this is what the question is asking for?

For part b) I have worked out that the angular procession velocity=mgd/Iω so would the frequency=mgd/2∏Iω? Does this answer sit alongside the statement of "using the variables given" even though there is no direct mention of I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sclatters said:
I can conclude that the subsequent motion of the top will be an anti-clockwise circle about the origin but would there be a bobbing motion? My answer for part a) just shows the spinning top making this circle. Do you think this is what the question is asking for?
Yes.

For part b) I have worked out that the angular procession velocity=mgd/Iω so would the frequency=mgd/2∏Iω?
The angular velocity of precession is the angular frequency.

Does this answer sit alongside the statement of "using the variables given" even though there is no direct mention of I?
No. Express I in terms of the variables given.

Great, thanks!

I am a little unsure on how to express I in terms of the variables given though?

sclatters said:
I am a little unsure on how to express I in terms of the variables given though?
What's the moment of inertia of a disk? You are given the mass and radius.

Likes 1 person
Of course, Ma2/4. Thank you very much for your help again!

Last edited:
sclatters said:
Of course, Ma2/4.
Almost.

I'm not sure why it isn't (ma^2)/4? Do I need to use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia in another position? Maybe at the point the spinning top intercepts the origin O?

sclatters said:
I'm not sure why it isn't (ma^2)/4?
Where does the 4 come from?

Sorry, I was thinking about the x and y components. They both equal (ma^2)/4 and the z component equals the x and y components added together. This gives the moment of inertia to be (ma^2)/2 straight through the disk as if it were spinning like a CD. Is this correct?

sclatters said:
Sorry, I was thinking about the x and y components. They both equal (ma^2)/4 and the z component equals the x and y components added together. This gives the moment of inertia to be (ma^2)/2 straight through the disk as if it were spinning like a CD. Is this correct?
Yes, now you've got it.

Related to Does a Spinning Top Exhibit Bobbing Motion?

1. What is a spinning top?

A spinning top is a toy or scientific device that rotates on its axis when set in motion. It typically consists of a pointed tip, a body, and a handle. It utilizes the principles of classical mechanics to maintain its balance and rotation.

2. How does a spinning top work?

A spinning top works by converting the potential energy of its initial spinning motion into kinetic energy, causing it to rotate on its axis. The tip of the top stays in contact with the ground, providing a pivot point for the top to balance and spin on. The top also experiences gyroscopic precession, a phenomenon where the top's axis of rotation tends to stay in a fixed orientation in space.

3. What are the factors that affect the motion of a spinning top?

The motion of a spinning top is affected by several factors, including the initial angular velocity, the shape and weight distribution of the top, the surface it is spinning on, and external forces such as friction and air resistance. These factors can influence the top's precession, wobbling, and overall stability.

4. Can a spinning top defy gravity?

No, a spinning top cannot defy gravity. While it may appear to do so due to its ability to balance and spin on its tip, it is still subject to the laws of gravity and will eventually slow down and fall over due to the effects of gravity. However, the spin and precession of the top can create an illusion of defying gravity.

5. What are some real-world applications of spinning tops?

Spinning tops have been used for entertainment and as toys for centuries. In addition, they have also been used in scientific experiments to study classical mechanics and gyroscopic motion. Spinning tops are also used in various cultural and spiritual practices, such as the dreidel in Jewish culture and the whirling dervishes in Sufism.