Does ABET Accreditation Matter for Graduate Programs?

• Programs
  • Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
In summary, schools used to only be able to get one program accredited by ABET until a few years ago. Due to the high cost, most schools only get their undergraduate programs accredited. It is not common for schools to have their graduate programs accredited by ABET, as the purpose of an MS degree is to gain more advanced training in a specific area. Therefore, it does not matter if an MS program is not ABET accredited.
YoshiMoshi
So apparently until a couple of years ago (?) schools couldn't get multiple programs accredited by ABET (?) and could only get one accredited. So I think most schools only get their undergraduate programs accredited by ABET because it's very costly to accrediate both programs (?). I don't think my MS degree at my school is ABET accreditation but is accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges by the Board of Higher Education in the state [my state]. Does it matter that my school doesn't get there graduate programs ABET credited? I know for like undergraduates if it's not ABET accredited employer's don't really recognized non ABET programs (?).

Physics news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:
So apparently until a couple of years ago (?) schools couldn't get multiple programs accredited by ABET (?) and could only get one accredited

What? That makes no sense.

Schools generally don't get their MS programs accredited because it doesn't make sense to get them accredited. I don't honestly know if there's a rule against it, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Unless there are licensing issues because you didn't have an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree either, then it doesn't matter one bit if your graduate program was accredited.

Consider that ABET seeks to lay out a set of standards that enumerate exactly what broad set of topics and skills an engineer is supposed to learn in school in order to be a valuable employee down the road. This makes sense for a BS, but the whole point of an MS is to get more advanced training in a specific area of interest to you and/or your employer. It just doesn't make sense in that case. Don't sweat it.

Related to Does ABET Accreditation Matter for Graduate Programs?

1. What is ABET Graduation accreditation?

ABET Graduation accreditation is a process in which a university's degree programs are evaluated to ensure that they meet certain standards of quality and rigor set by ABET. This accreditation is specifically for engineering, computing, and technology-related programs.

2. Why is ABET Graduation accreditation important?

ABET Graduation accreditation is important because it signifies that a university's programs have met the standards set by ABET and are deemed to be of high quality. This accreditation is often a requirement for students seeking employment or further education in the engineering and technology fields.

3. How does a university become ABET Graduation accredited?

A university must go through a rigorous evaluation process conducted by ABET in order to become accredited. This process includes submitting a self-study report, hosting an on-site visit from ABET evaluators, and making any necessary improvements to meet ABET's standards.

4. What are the benefits of ABET Graduation accreditation?

ABET Graduation accreditation provides several benefits to both the university and its students. It ensures that the university's programs are of high quality and prepares students for successful careers in their chosen fields. It also gives students a competitive edge in the job market and can lead to higher salaries and greater opportunities.

5. How long does ABET Graduation accreditation last?

ABET Graduation accreditation typically lasts for 6 years, after which the university must go through the accreditation process again to maintain its status. However, ABET conducts periodic reviews to ensure that the university continues to meet its standards throughout the 6-year period.