Does Angular Momentum Affect Linear Momentum in Physics Problems?

In summary, the 60 kg package was dropped from a height of 120 m, and after landing, the sled's speed was found to be 30 m/s. The mass of the sled is estimated to be 60 kg.
jcurtis912

Homework Statement

Near the South Pole, a supply plane going at 120 mph drops a 60 kg supply package into a sled that was initially at rest. After the package lands in the sled, the speed of the sled was found to be 30 m/s. Estimate the mass of the sled.

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i know that vertical velocity and horizontal velocity are independent of each other. So it would seem like i just plug, play, and solve for the unknowns. But this seems all too easy, like maybe the vertical motion has an effect on the final velocity. Anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a straightforward conservation of momentum problem. (Linear, not angular, of course.) Vertical motion won't factor in.

You know that's what i thought, but this teacher is brutal, always throwing trick questions, so i thought i was missing something here.

jcurtis912 said:

Homework Statement

Near the South Pole, a supply plane going at 120 mph drops a 60 kg supply package into a sled that was initially at rest. After the package lands in the sled, the speed of the sled was found to be 30 m/s. Estimate the mass of the sled.

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i know that vertical velocity and horizontal velocity are independent of each other. So it would seem like i just plug, play, and solve for the unknowns. But this seems all too easy, like maybe the vertical motion has an effect on the final velocity. Anyone help?

Hi jcurtis912! Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Why would the vertical velocity have an effect on final horizontal velocity? The conservation of linear momentum clearly states that the momentum in one direction is conserved if there is no net force acting in that direction, and this holds for the given problem.

Edit : Seems I'm quite late...I left the screen open before submitting :-p

I would approach this problem by first breaking it down into its fundamental principles. Angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In this case, we are dealing with linear motion, so we can use the equation for linear momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

We know that the plane has a velocity of 120 mph and the package has a mass of 60 kg. After the package is dropped, the sled has a velocity of 30 m/s. We can set up an equation using the principle of conservation of momentum:

(60 kg)(120 mph) + M(0 mph) = (60 kg + M)(30 m/s)

Solving for M, we get a mass of approximately 20 kg for the sled. This calculation assumes that there is no external force acting on the system, and that the final velocity of the sled is only due to the momentum transferred from the package.

However, it is important to consider other factors that may affect the final velocity of the sled, such as air resistance, friction, and the angle at which the package is dropped. These variables may have an impact on the final mass of the sled and should be taken into account in a more comprehensive analysis of the problem.

Related to Does Angular Momentum Affect Linear Momentum in Physics Problems?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of the object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. What is the angular momentum problem?

The angular momentum problem refers to the discrepancy between the observed angular momentum of galaxies and the predicted angular momentum based on the visible matter in those galaxies. This problem has led to the development of theories such as dark matter and modified gravity to explain the missing angular momentum.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does angular momentum affect the motion of objects?

Angular momentum affects the motion of objects by determining the rate at which they rotate and how this rotation changes over time. It also plays a role in the stability of rotating objects.

5. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (a measure of how fast the object is rotating). The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.