Does antimatter go back in time?

In summary: Is it true that antimatter is positive matter traveling backwards in time? I have recently heard some say that it is and is part of the mainstream interpretation, but others say that it shouldn't be taken too literally, but I myself am not sure. What is the general consensus on the matter if there is any?There is no general consensus on the matter. Some people believe that it is a real phenomenon, while others are not so sure.
lmoh
Is it true that antimatter is positive matter traveling backwards in time? I have recently heard some say that it is and is part of the mainstream interpretation, but others say that it shouldn't be taken too literally, but I myself am not sure. What is the general consensus on the matter if there is any?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been known since at least 1964 that this cannot be the correct description of nature.

Vanadium, could you say a little more about what happened in 1964?

lmoh said:
Is it true that antimatter is positive matter traveling backwards in time? I have recently heard some say that it is and is part of the mainstream interpretation, but others say that it shouldn't be taken too literally, but I myself am not sure. What is the general consensus on the matter if there is any?

First of all, you have to define what "going back in time" means. In Relativity there are two concepts of time:
- coordinate time is measured by a clock at rest in frame of the observer
- proper time of an object is measured by a clock co-moving with the object

AFAIK the "antimatter going back in time" idea refers to proper time. I'm not sure how useful the idea is, but here some points:

In Feynman Diagrams the anti particles are shown to be moving back in time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram#Electron-positron_annihilation_example

220px-Feynman_EP_Annihilation.svg.png

There are also the Epstein diagrams which contrary to Minkowski diagrams don't use coordinate time, but rather proper time on the time axis. In this diagrams the length contraction from movement can be derived from the projection of the object roated in space-time onto the spatial dimensions:

Raum = space
Eigenzeit = proper time

Object at rest in space moving only through time, therefore advancing vertically in space-time (only along the proper time dimension):

C4_2.jpg

Object is now also moving in space, therefore advancing obliquely in space-time, therefore rotated in space-time, therefore contracted spatially:

C4_3.jpg

Now, what would happen if the proper-time component of that space-time-advancement vector would become negative, so the arrow points down?

27y8pp4.png

Obviously the spatial projection would not only be contracted but mirrored. And anti-matter shows properties which are mirrored compared to matter. So it might make sense to interpret matter and anti-matter as advancing in opposite directions along a proper-time dimension.

Note that "forward" & "backward in time" become arbitrary. An alien made of anti-matter would claim that we are moving backwards in proper-time.

Last edited:
Well, we've created antimatter, and held it in suspension for as long as 16 minutes. It showed no tendency to move backward in time. Otherwise, it would have vanished as soon as it was created.

A.T. said:
In Feynman Diagrams the anti particles are shown to be moving back in time

No, no, no. That's not what the arrows mean. The arrows are mnemonics, nothing more, nothing less. They tell you whether you need a u, a v, a ubar or a vbar (depending on incoming or outgoing).

A.T. said:
First of all, you have to define what "going back in time" means.

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you there, due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, but I am only repeating claims by other people, but Feynman's interpretation is relevant if that helps.

Khashishi said:
Vanadium, could you say a little more about what happened in 1964?

The discovery of CP-violation by Jim Christenson et al. That demonstrated that the laws of nature were not time-symmetric. That is enough to tell you that "moving backwards in time" is not a well-defined statement. And since it's not a well-defined statement, suggesting that particles do it is not meaningful.

Related to Does antimatter go back in time?

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that has the same mass as regular matter but has an opposite charge. This means that instead of having a positive charge like protons, antimatter particles have a negative charge. When antimatter comes into contact with regular matter, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy.

2. Does antimatter really go back in time?

No, antimatter does not actually go back in time. This idea is often seen in science fiction, but it is not supported by scientific evidence. Antimatter behaves in the same way as regular matter and follows the laws of physics, including the concept of time moving forward.

3. Can we create antimatter in a lab?

Yes, scientists have been able to create antimatter in small amounts through particle accelerators. However, it is very difficult and expensive to produce and store antimatter, so it is not currently used for practical purposes.

4. How is antimatter used in scientific research?

Antimatter is used in scientific research to study the fundamental principles of matter and energy. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), which uses positrons (antimatter particles) to create images of the human body.

5. Is antimatter dangerous?

Antimatter itself is not dangerous, but when it comes into contact with regular matter, it can release a large amount of energy. This energy release could potentially be harnessed for power generation, but it would require extremely precise control and safety measures.