Does anyone else ever go in and out of liking physics?

• Thread starter The riddler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, it is normal for someone's interest in physics to change throughout their academic career.
The riddler
Does anyone else ever go in and out of liking physics?

I have this weird thing where one month all I want to do is nothing but physics and the next month nothing but play my guitar or something else.

I don't do this as much as I did when i was younger, i used to try all sorts of crap like yo-yo's, website building, hypnotism (which i swear once work on my friend Sam) and about 100 ther things like that. I'm only 16 right now and I am trying to stick with just Physics, i was just wondering (for peace of mind) if anyone of you employed physicists does or youst to have this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

You're 16 and your interest change. It's perfectly normal.

I'm taking Multivariable Calc right now in the summer and I've changed a lot. For example, I got a 6/10 on my first quiz which really bummed me out because I was really bad at normal vectors, planes, cross product, and dot product stuff. I seemed to keep getting different properties mixed up and I began to question if I was good at Calculus anymore (I got perfect scores on several practice AP Calc BC tests).
When my class finally began to actually incorporate calculus (gradients, limits, partial derivs, etc.), I really began to excel as usual and I loved the course again. As a pre-freshman in college, I constantly question my dedication in physics/math whenever I do badly in a quiz or test.

General_Sax said:
You're 16 and your interest change. It's perfectly normal.

Is it normal when you're 26? I just finished the third year of working on my PhD in physics, and I haven't liked physics for awhile now. I was really into physics my first year though. All in all my love/hate relationship with physics has mostly just hate these days, so maybe it's a mid-grad school crisis or something.

I can assure you that it is completely normal to have varying levels of interest and passion for different subjects, including physics. It is also common to explore different hobbies and interests throughout our lives. This does not make you any less dedicated or passionate about physics. In fact, having diverse interests can often enhance our understanding and approach to a particular subject. So, it is perfectly fine to have periods where you focus more on physics and other times where you explore other interests. As long as you continue to have a curiosity and passion for physics, you will continue to excel in the field.

FAQ: Does anyone else ever go in and out of liking physics?

1. Why do I sometimes feel like I don't like physics anymore?

It's normal to have fluctuations in our interests and passions, even when it comes to a subject like physics. It could be due to various external factors or simply a natural ebb and flow in our curiosity and motivation.

2. Is it common for people to have a love-hate relationship with physics?

Yes, it is quite common for people to experience a rollercoaster of emotions when it comes to their interest in physics. It is a complex subject that can be both challenging and fascinating, leading to changes in our level of engagement.

3. Will my wavering interest in physics affect my future career in this field?

It's possible that your interest in physics may affect your career path, but it ultimately depends on your level of commitment and determination. If you are passionate about physics, it's important to stay motivated and seek support when needed to push through any temporary disinterest.

4. How can I stay motivated and consistently interested in physics?

One way to stay motivated is to find a specific area or topic within physics that truly captivates you. This will make it easier to maintain your interest and keep you engaged. Also, surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals and seeking out new challenges can help keep your passion for physics alive.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed or intimidated by physics?

Yes, physics can be an intimidating subject, especially for those who are just beginning to learn about it. However, with patience and practice, it can become more manageable and even enjoyable. Remember to take breaks and seek help when needed, and don't be too hard on yourself for feeling overwhelmed.