Does anyone want to check this? (Stone from David's sling hits Goliath)

• Thread starter Lamont
  • Start date
In summary, David released a stone from his sling at a 30 degree angle above the horizontal with a length of 0.88m. The stone was taking 0.2s per revolution and hit Goliath's eye at the same height it was released at. Using the equation range= v^2*sin(2θ) /g, the velocity was determined by finding the circumference, which was 2π*0.88m, and dividing it by the time, 0.2s. This resulted in a velocity of 27.646 m/s. Plugging this into the range equation with a sin of 60, the range was calculated to be 67.54 meters.
Lamont

Homework Statement

David releases a stone from his sling at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The length of the sling is 0.88 m and it was taking 0.2s per revolution. If Goliath's eye was (for some reason) at the exact same height as the release point, then how far away was he if he is hit by the projectile?

Homework Equations

Since the stone hit Goliath's eye the same height it was released at, we are only concerned about the range

I used the equation range=v^2*sin(2θ) /g

To get the velocity I first found the circumference, C=2r, with r=0.88m
(Apparently the stone makes one revolution that equals the circumference of a circle. Which I'm still a little confused about ?)
Once I found the circumference I divided it by the time, 0.2 s, to get the velocity.

So, C=2π*0.88m=5.53 meters
v = C/t = 5.53m/0.2s =27.646 m/s (I only knew to do this because its the only way to get a velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Finally, Range= (27.646)^2*sin(30) /9.8 =67.54 meters

Physics news on Phys.org
Lamont said:

Homework Statement

David releases a stone from his sling at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The length of the sling is 0.88 m and it was taking 0.2s per revolution. If Goliath's eye was (for some reason) at the exact same height as the release point, then how far away was he if he is hit by the projectile?

Homework Equations

Since the stone hit Goliath's eye the same height it was released at, we are only concerned about the range

I used the equation range=v^2*sin(2θ) /g

To get the velocity I first found the circumference, C=2r, with r=0.88m
(Apparently the stone makes one revolution that equals the circumference of a circle. Which I'm still a little confused about ?)
Once I found the circumference I divided it by the time, 0.2 s, to get the velocity.

So, C=2π*0.88m=5.53 meters
v = C/t = 5.53m/0.2s =27.646 m/s (I only knew to do this because its the only way to get a velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Finally, Range= (27.646)^2*sin(30) /9.8 =67.54 meters
Watch out, you have to take the sin of twice the initial angle theta, so in your case you should have sin(60).
The rest looks right.
(by the way, when an object is moving in uniform circular motion (circular at constant speed), then yes, the speed is simply distance/time = circumference/period of rotation)

Thank you I used 60 when I did the calculation.

Related to Does anyone want to check this? (Stone from David's sling hits Goliath)

1. What scientific evidence supports the accuracy of the story of David and Goliath?

There is no scientific evidence supporting the accuracy of the story of David and Goliath. The story is found in the Bible, which is a religious text and not a scientific document.

2. Can modern-day slingshots replicate the impact of David's sling on Goliath?

It is unlikely that a modern-day slingshot could replicate the impact of David's sling on Goliath. The story describes David's sling as being made of leather and the stone as being small and smooth. Modern-day slingshots are typically made of rubber and the projectiles used are often much larger and heavier.

3. How far could a stone from David's sling possibly travel?

The distance a stone from David's sling could travel depends on several factors such as the strength and skill of the person using the sling, the weight and size of the stone, and the conditions of the environment. It is difficult to determine an accurate distance without more information.

4. Does the story of David and Goliath have any historical basis?

The story of David and Goliath is a religious and cultural legend and does not have any solid historical basis. While there may have been a character named David and a character named Goliath in ancient times, the events described in the story are not supported by historical evidence.

5. Could a stone from a sling really kill someone as large as Goliath?

It is possible for a stone from a sling to cause serious harm or even death to a person as large as Goliath. The force and impact of a sling can be significant, especially if used by a skilled and strong individual. However, it is important to remember that the story of David and Goliath is not a historical account and should not be taken as factual evidence of what happened.