Does Attraction to Weight Influence Superficiality?

• Thread starter Surrealist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jerk
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of superficiality and attraction to physical appearance. The initial speaker shares that they find themselves more attracted to their girlfriend now that she has lost weight and expresses a preference for skinny girls. The conversation then delves into whether or not this makes the speaker superficial and the concept of being attracted to certain physical traits. Some argue that there is nothing wrong with being superficial to an extent, as long as other qualities are not ignored. The conversation also touches on societal beauty standards and the obsession with certain physical features. In the end, it is concluded that as long as the attraction is genuine and not based on shallow reasons, there is nothing wrong with being attracted to someone's physical appearance.
wow you guyz are ****ing weird

Physics news on Phys.org
You're superficial if you only like her because she's looks good. If she looks good and she's dense as a post then you are superficial.

Okay, so you think she looks better a bit thinner than she was before, yet, you were still attracted to her enough before she lost the weight to start dating her, so how is that superficial? Since she is very petite, you're attracted to her in a healthy weight range. I'd only be worried if you were demanding she lose more weight to the point of being underweight/undernourished. It's only superficial if you don't appreciate anything else about her and just are after her for her looks and will dump her as soon as her weight is above or below some ideal for you. If appearances are the ONLY reason you're with her, then that's superficial, but if her appearances just add to the attraction, that's normal. While many of us don't count physical appearance as the most important quality for dating someone, we all recognize that there are certain physiques that appeal to us more than others. There's certainly nothing wrong with suddenly finding yourself MORE attracted to your girlfriend (and who knows, maybe it's not just the weight loss...if you've been away a while or a lot, maybe you missed her more and she missed you so both of you have been more attentive to each other since returning, or realized how much you enjoy being together, and the slight change in appearance is just icing on the cake).

OK guys, I got a confession to make. I am married to her. We've been married for almost eight years. Damn, admitting that makes me feel so old... that is why I just posted "gf" before.

Well, the lesson to be learned here is that if you make a marriage work by being a faithful companion, there are cycles of good times and bad... sickness and health... skinny and not-as-skinny.

But "seriously", if she drops down to 98 lbs, I will ask her to renew our marriage vows. :smile:

BTW: Thanks for the moral support in the "Smoking" thread (which is now locked)... especially those who poured their hearts out (like Danger) and those who kept the thread hillarious (like marlon).

Perhaps she is just more confident now that she weighs less. I find that my level of attraction to someone hinges much more on that than on the physical characteristics.

Surrealist said:
OK guys, I got a confession to make. I am married to her. We've been married for almost eight years. Damn, admitting that makes me feel so old... that is why I just posted "gf" before.

Well, the lesson to be learned here is that if you make a marriage work by being a faithful companion, there are cycles of good times and bad... sickness and health... skinny and not-as-skinny.

But "seriously", if she drops down to 98 lbs, I will ask her to renew our marriage vows. :smile:

BTW: Thanks for the moral support in the "Smoking" thread (which is now locked)... especially those who poured their hearts out (like Danger) and those who kept the thread hillarious (like marlon).

It sounds to me as if you just need a way to respond to that perplexing, "Does this dress make me look fat?" question.

Well, I have the answer to that, as well. Just quote some Shakespeare to her. Shakespeare always works.

Shakespeare - My Mistress' Eyes Are Nothing Like the Sun said:
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

The Dark Mistress,
Of course, if she knows Shakespear, she might take that as an insult. Just hope it doesn't backfire.