Does Bezout's theorem work both ways?

Heisenberg7
Homework Statement
Below
Relevant Equations
Below
Let's assume that for integers ##m## and ##n## (and integers ##x_1## and ##y_1##) the following is satisfied: $$mx_1 + ny_1 = 1$$ Then by this theorem (for some integer ##k##), if ##k|a## and ##k|b## then ##k|mx+ny## for all integers ##x## and ##y##. So it must be, $$k | mx_1 + ny_1$$ for all common factors of ##m## and ##n##. In other words, $$k|1$$ for all common factors of ##m## and ##n##. But this implies that ##k=1## since ##k## is an integer. Thus ##(m, n) = 1##. Since I've never seen this be mentioned before, I'll be happy to see where I went wrong.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Made a little correction. Numbers ##x_1## and ##y_1## are integers as well.

By Bezout's theorem, if ##(m,n)=1## there exists ##x## and ##y## such that

\begin{align*}
mx+ny=1 .
\end{align*}

Are you asking if we can find integers ##x_1## and ##y_1## such that

\begin{align*}
mx_1+ny_1=1
\end{align*}

then is ##(m,n)=1##? In that case, ##(m,n) | mx_1+ny_1 \Rightarrow (m,n) | 1 \Rightarrow (m,n)=1##.

Last edited:
julian said:
By Bezout's theorem, if ##(m,n)=1## there exists ##x## and ##y## such that

\begin{align*}
mx+ny=1 .
\end{align*}

Are you asking if we can find integers ##x_1## and ##y_1## such that

\begin{align*}
mx_1+ny_1=1
\end{align*}

then is ##(m,n)=1##? In that case, ##(m,n) | mx_1+ny_1 \Rightarrow (m,n) | 1 \Rightarrow (m,n)=1##.
Yes. That's what I'm asking for. Seems like a useful property for problem solving. So, I am right?

It is correct. It follows trivially. As ##(m,n)## divides ##m## and ##n## by definition, and given that we have found ##x_1## and ##x_2## such that ##mx_1+ny_1=1##, we have ##(m,n) | 1##. It may be useful in proving two integers are coprime.

Likes Heisenberg7