Does Cauchy's Theorem Confirm That Arithmetic Means of Null Sequences Are Null?

In summary, the numerator on the left in this proof is a fixed number, but that number changes each time the epsilon proof is run.
elliti123
Hello , i was just wondering if anyone could clarify one thing in this proof (its from Konrad Knopp book on infinite series) : If (x0,x1,...) is a null sequence, then the arithmetic means

xn'= x0+x1+x2+...+x/n+1 (n=1,2,3,...)

also forms a null sequence.

Proof: If ε >0 is given, then m can be so chosen, that for every n > m we have |xn| < ε/2 . For these n's, we have
|xn'| ≤ |x1+x2+x3+...+xm| / n+1 +(ε/2) (n-m /n+1)

since the numerator of the first fraction on the right hand side now contains a fixed number, we can further determine n0, so that for n > n0 that fraction remains < ε/2. But then, for every n > n0 , we have |xn'| < ε and our theorem is proved.

My question is: the chosen m in the proof as far as i know is a natural number changing according to what epsilon we give it so for example if the chosen m is 3 it might work for a particular ε but might not for another ε less than the other ε we have chosen first . So i have come to a conclusion that m or n0 that every n should be more than so the sequence converges to a real number is a function of epsilon therefore it changes whenever epsilon does. Now how exactly is the numerator they describe in the proof a fixed number?
Since the m changes whenever ε does then it is logical to infer that the summation of those terms would obviously change. And would you please explain the last part of the proof after the inequality i seem to have some vivid idea but i don't think i still get the last part. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\epsilon## is given, you choose a different m and n each time.

Oh sorry, the one thing you wanted to ask is how the numerator on the left is a fixed number. It isn't but m determines it. M is different each time. So that numerator is different each time. But you choose it to have a certain property, that everything else in the sequence is small. Then you make n large to make that fraction small. Then everything is small.

verty said:
Oh sorry, the one thing you wanted to ask is how the numerator on the left is a fixed number. It isn't but m determines it. M is different each time. So that numerator is different each time. But you choose it to have a certain property, that everything else in the sequence is small. Then you make n large to make that fraction small. Then everything is small.
Haha there is a lot of small going on there.Anyways jokes aside so in this kind of proofs , i mean in general for epsilon proofs you actually do consider the epsilon you choose or give or even the epsilon itself to be a "fixed" positive number right?

What Limit is all about, the value we found after evaluating limit what this value actually shows.

FAQ: Does Cauchy's Theorem Confirm That Arithmetic Means of Null Sequences Are Null?

1. What is Cauchy's theorem on limits?

Cauchy's theorem on limits, also known as the Cauchy convergence criterion, is a mathematical theorem that states that a sequence of real numbers converges if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence. This means that the terms of the sequence get arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses.

2. Who is Augustin-Louis Cauchy?

Augustin-Louis Cauchy was a French mathematician who lived from 1789 to 1857. He made significant contributions to various fields of mathematics, including analysis, number theory, and geometry. He is best known for his work on the foundations of calculus and his development of the Cauchy integral theorem.

3. What is the Cauchy integral theorem?

The Cauchy integral theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis. It states that if two closed curves in the complex plane have the same endpoints, and a function is analytic within and on the curves, then the two curves have the same integral. This theorem is a key tool in the study of complex analysis and has many important applications.

4. How is Cauchy's theorem used in calculus?

Cauchy's theorem is used in calculus to prove the existence of limits for certain types of functions. It is also used to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which relates the concepts of differentiation and integration.

5. What is the importance of Cauchy's theorem on limits?

Cauchy's theorem on limits is an essential result in mathematics, with applications in many areas, including analysis, number theory, and physics. It provides a rigorous criterion for the convergence of sequences, which is crucial in many mathematical proofs and calculations. It also plays a key role in the development of calculus and complex analysis.