Does Class Size Really Matter in College?

• Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the individual is deciding between two universities for their engineering program. The first university has a smaller campus with smaller classes and hands-on experiences, while the second university has a more lively campus life but larger classes. The individual is unsure of the importance of class size in college and is considering both options. However, they believe that the first university's smaller classes and hands-on experiences would be beneficial for their education. They also consider the possibility of smaller classes in the second university as they advance in their major. Ultimately, they are leaning towards the first university due to its smaller classes and hands-on experiences. Another factor to consider is the quality of the student body, which may be better at the second university.
lax1113
Hey guys,
I am a senior and have pretty much narrowed my choices of colleges down to two different universities. One is a university that has about 8,000 students and has an average class size of under 20, there are no classes over 40 and nothing is taught in an auditorium like some other general education classes. On top of that, this smaller school has an engineering program that is very unique in that there is hands on experience as a class for each semester called clinics. It is a fairly good school, not ivy league or top 10, but many graduates get into respectable graduate programs and perhaps best of all, if i were to be interested in getting a career after just a 4 year engineering degree, they have many deals set up with local engineering firms that its nearly guaranteed a job at graduation.
Now on the other hand, another school i was looking at is bigger and has a much more alive campus life. D1 football team to watch, bigger school, which also means, bigger classes. Almost all of my first and second year classes wuld be them insanely huge 100+ person classes where your not a person but just a number. This really doesn't appeal to me, but the thing is, this university is definately a more prestigious one that the former. I just don't know how important the small class really is when you get to the collegiate level. If you are pretty much on your own like many people say, does it matter if your class has 100 or 20 people? Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

Also I don't want to seem like i obviously want the first choice, because until just recently i was planning on going to the larger school, but then thought about class size and had to reevaluate the options.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure on you major or plan, but I will explain my experience at a larger public university.

Many of my freshmen classes were 120 people. Calc 2,3 and Chem 1&2 were both in these large auditoriums with little to no interaction with the professor.

As I got more into my major courses class size shrank. All of my physics classes were around 30 people. My more advance math classes were also around 30 students. Here I did have a chance to ask more questions and get independent help.

Larger universities do group you together to start and you are just a number. However, as you are able to define your area of interest and start advance courses your class size will decrease.

Hey lax1113, I'm currently a freshman at UIUC and I'd like to share some views though I'm not sure whether they help or not..
Yes, we have a lot of class have more than 100 students, like Calculus, introductory physics and almost every general education class. However, if you do decide to go to a large school, you will probably find you have a lot of other choices...
Like our school, we have discovery class specially for freshmen, which translates the class size is no more than 19.
Another option is honors class, I have taken Honors Mechanics this semester and there's only 24 students, plus, our prof is superb.
I'll show you my classes next semester and the registered student number..
Honors Multivariable Calculus, 8 people
Honors Fundamental Mathematics, 11 students
Abstract Linear Algebra, 28
Intermediate Mechanics, 56
Honors EM, 24
Discovery Greek Mythology, 19

Actually, one of my best friend in high school go to a top 10 LAC with a faculty-student ratio of 1-10, but find out nearly all her class have 30 or 40 students.. even larger than mine..

I would go for the first one; the extra hands-on experience and the small classes would be much better in my opinion.

you make the small classes sound good but another bonus of a better school is a better student body. the interaction with better students can make up for the closer interaction with professors at a weaker school.

FAQ: Does Class Size Really Matter in College?

What is the difference between a small school and a better school?

A small school typically has a smaller student population and a lower teacher-to-student ratio compared to a better school. A better school, on the other hand, is typically defined by its academic performance, resources, and overall reputation.

Are small schools less academically rigorous compared to better schools?

Not necessarily. While small schools may have fewer resources, they often have a more personalized and intimate learning environment, which can lead to better academic outcomes for students. Better schools may also have more rigorous academic standards, but this can vary greatly between schools.

Do students from small schools have a disadvantage when applying to colleges?

It ultimately depends on the individual student and their accomplishments. Admissions committees take into account a variety of factors, including the school's reputation, the student's grades, extracurricular activities, and personal essays. Both small and better schools can provide students with the resources and opportunities to stand out in the college application process.

Are there any advantages to attending a small school over a better school?

Small schools often offer a close-knit community and a more personalized learning experience. Students may have more opportunities to build relationships with their teachers and peers, and receive individualized attention. Additionally, smaller schools may have a stronger sense of community and school spirit.

Can a small school provide the same opportunities as a better school?

It depends on the specific opportunities that a student is looking for. Small schools may not have the same resources as better schools, but they can still offer a variety of extracurricular activities, clubs, and academic programs. It's important for students to research and compare the opportunities available at both types of schools to determine which is the best fit for their individual needs and goals.