Does colder intake charge really work on Dyno?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of colder air on auto engines. It is acknowledged that colder air can result in more power, but there are also potential drawbacks such as reduced fuel efficiency and timing issues. Aftermarket "cold air" kits are mentioned as a way to increase power, but it is noted that they often achieve this by adjusting the air/fuel ratio rather than actually lowering air temperature. The speaker shares their own modifications to their car's intake tract, which have resulted in a noticeable increase in power regardless of outside temperature.
Buzzworks
Hello, I got a question on auto engines. especially on Naturally Aspirated engines.

I know that colder intake = more oxygen in the mixture, then the ecu will compensate that with more fuel, etc, etc, more power... But colder air will also result to less efficient atomization of fuel, reduced flame front speed which has the effect of retarding timing which can reduce torque or neutralize the effect of denser charge...

But generally speaking, could it really result to greater output across the rev range? Does lower manifold temperature really work or is just hype to sell aftermarket mods?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, cooler air temperatures result in more brake horsepower.

However, many aftermarket "cold air" kits add power mostly by leaning out the factory air/fuel ratio (kits with a new mass air meter) and a lower restriction air filter and duct work rather than reducing the temperature of the air inlet. Most newer cars already draw air from the fenderwell.

Last edited:
Thanks Edge.

I'll guess I did the right thing. I thought I'm just saving money. I've basically left the intake tract factory stock but wrapped them in insulating tape, used paper intake manifold gasket and bypassed throttle body coolant. I've also rerouted the inlet to a ram scoop I've made myself that's completely sealed off the engine bay and gets incoming air directly.

I thought it's just in my head that the car felt more powerful - which used to feel weaker when the engine reaches operating temps or if the weather is hot. Now it seems to be peppy regardless of outside temps.

Related to Does colder intake charge really work on Dyno?

1. Does a colder intake charge really increase horsepower on a dyno?

There is evidence to suggest that a colder intake charge can lead to a slight increase in horsepower on a dyno. This is because colder air is denser and contains more oxygen molecules, allowing for a more efficient combustion process in the engine.

2. How much of a difference does a colder intake charge make on a dyno?

The exact amount of horsepower increase from a colder intake charge will vary depending on the specific vehicle and its engine. In general, the increase can range from 1-5 horsepower.

3. Are there any other benefits to using a colder intake charge on a dyno?

In addition to potentially increasing horsepower, a colder intake charge can also improve engine responsiveness and throttle response. It can also help prevent heat soak, which can negatively impact performance.

4. Are there any downsides to using a colder intake charge on a dyno?

One potential downside is that a colder intake charge may decrease fuel efficiency and lead to slightly higher fuel consumption. Additionally, if the intake charge is too cold, it may cause issues with the engine's sensors and cause the check engine light to come on.

5. Can a colder intake charge damage the engine on a dyno?

As long as the intake charge is not too cold and does not cause any issues with the engine's sensors, it should not cause any damage. However, it is important to make sure that the engine is not running too lean, as this can lead to engine damage over time.