Does Dirac notation apply to tensor product in tensor analysis?

In summary, the two operators ##A## and ##B## act on the same space if and only if they have the same symmetry between bra and ket vectors.
jk22
Just a question : do we have in Dirac notation $$\langle u|A|u\rangle\langle u|B|u\rangle=\langle u|\langle u|A\otimes B|u\rangle |u\rangle$$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't look right to me. If we translate the Dirac notation into tensor notation then ## \langle u | ## corresponds to ## u^1 ##, a linear functional and ## |u\rangle ## corresponds to ## \textbf{u} ##, a vector. Then ## \langle u | A | u \rangle ## is the same as ## u^1(A\textbf{u}) ##, the functional ## u^1 ## acting on the vector ## A\textbf{u} ##. Similarly, ## \langle u | B | u \rangle ## corresponds to ## u^1(B\textbf{u})##. Then I guess we would write ## u^1(A\textbf{u})u^1(B\textbf{u}) ## in Dirac notation as ## \langle u | \otimes \langle u | (A| u \rangle, B| u \rangle)##. The first ## \langle u | ## would act on the ## A | u \rangle ## and the second ## \langle u | ## would act on the ## B | u \rangle ##.

Likes DEvens
You have not defined what you mean by ##\otimes## in this case. As well, any kind of product of two operators is not necessarily going to be the same as the product of their results in brackets of this kind. How do the two operators act through each other? If they do.

I was thinkg of A and B be square matrices and $$\otimes$$ the kronecker product.

jk22 said:
Just a question : do we have in Dirac notation $$\langle u|A|u\rangle\langle u|B|u\rangle=\langle u|\langle u|A\otimes B|u\rangle |u\rangle$$ ?
So ##A## and ##B## act on the same space? Without context, the right-hand side looks like an unnecessary inflation of the state space but technically correct to me.

Geofleur said:
Then I guess we would write ## u^1(A\textbf{u})u^1(B\textbf{u}) ## in Dirac notation as ## \langle u | \otimes \langle u | (A| u \rangle, B| u \rangle)##. The first ## \langle u | ## would act on the ## A | u \rangle ## and the second ## \langle u | ## would act on the ## B | u \rangle ##.
Your use of Dirac notation seems quite non-standard to me. I haven't seen it in QM texts. Instead of your ##(\langle a| \otimes \langle b|) (|c\rangle, |d\rangle)## I would write ##(\langle a| \otimes \langle b|) (|c\rangle \otimes |d\rangle)## which has the usual symmetry between bra and ket vectors.

Ah, I see. In tensor analysis, particularly in the modern sort where tensors are viewed as multilinear maps, that kind of notation is common. But the bra-ket notation is not used in that context, at least not in the books I have been reading. I'm just happy that what I wrote down actually does make sense!

FAQ: Does Dirac notation apply to tensor product in tensor analysis?

1. What is the difference between scalar and tensor products?

The main difference between scalar and tensor products is that scalar products result in a single scalar value while tensor products result in a tensor, which is a multidimensional array. Another difference is that scalar products are commutative, meaning the order of the operands does not matter, while tensor products are not necessarily commutative.

2. How is the scalar product calculated?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the corresponding components of two vectors. In other words, it is the magnitude of one vector multiplied by the magnitude of the other vector and the cosine of the angle between them.

3. What is the significance of the scalar product in physics?

The scalar product has several important applications in physics, including calculating work, power, and projections. It is also used in equations for momentum, force, and torque. Additionally, the scalar product can be used to determine whether two vectors are perpendicular or parallel to each other.

4. How is the tensor product different from matrix multiplication?

The tensor product is different from matrix multiplication in several ways. First, the tensor product allows for the combination of vectors and matrices of different dimensions, while matrix multiplication requires the matrices to have the same number of rows and columns. Additionally, the tensor product is not associative, meaning that the order of multiplication matters, while matrix multiplication is associative.

5. In what fields of science is the concept of scalar and tensor products commonly used?

The concept of scalar and tensor products has applications in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. In physics, they are used in mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. In engineering, they are used in areas such as structural analysis and fluid mechanics. In mathematics, they are used in linear algebra, differential geometry, and tensor calculus.